Profile pictures are back! I've finally figured out how to restore the pictures. If you don't have a profile pic or want to change yours, feel free to go to your profile and add a picture.
Formulating sunscreens with melatonin - acceptable in EU?
  • A cosmetic scientist I spoke to mentioned that if you formulate sunscreen product with melatonin as one of the ingredients, the sunscreen would be viewed as a drug in the EU. Is this correct? 

I read the SCCS opinion on melatonin and from what I understand it would only be viewed as a drug if it's formulated in haircare products because it helps with hair growth and also if it's in medicines used to treat insomnia and other sleep disorders. 

Your thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
  • I disagree; if you don't make any medical claims related to melatonin, and the final product doesn't produce any physiological effects due to melatonin, the product can't reasonably be called a medicine just because it contains melatonin

and unlike in the USA, suncreens are not classified as medicines or borderline medicines in Europe

to my mind, the biggest point of contention in using melatonin will be finding enough toxicology data to prove that it's safe for use in leave-on skin products

UK based formulation chemist. Ask me about: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair colourants (oxidative and non-oxidative)
    I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
    I know next to sod-all about: bar soaps and colour cosmetics
  • Thank you so much for clarifying that for me Bill!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion