Grapefruit Seed Extract Blob — Cosmetic Science Talk

Grapefruit Seed Extract Blob

Hi guys, I am in the midst of making a hydrating lotion.

I have 60% water
0.8% xanthan gum
6% glycerin
7% Aloe Vera
5% Witch Hazel
0.4% Grapefruit Seed Extract

Anway my problem is with the Grapefruit Seed Extract. It seems to go blobby when I add it to the ingredients. It seems fine after experimenting adding it just with the water and glycerin but the combination with xanthan seems to make it turn into a stringy type blob.  Was wondering if anyone could tell me what causes this. Also I have 0.5% of Vitamin E (tocopherol) in the oil phase so would the Grapefruit seed extract even be required in the product.

Comments

• More problems than that. Grapefruit Seed Extract is not the best preservative by far. Use a better more effective preservative. Problem solved.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • edited January 11
    And Tocopherol is an antioxidant, not a preservative so YES, you need a preservative. 

You refer to an oil phase but I don't see one listed. Is the Formula complete?
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • edited January 11
    Ah sorry my preservative is Lexgard Natural which i put in at 1% in the oil phase. So I have I% preservative and 0.5% antioxidant. Mite just be rid of the grapefruit seed extract, was just wondering why it made the water phase blobby when mixed with the xanthan.
  • Grape Seed Extract is in many cases adulterated with Quats having a cationic charge. Xanthan gum is anionic.
  • thanks microformulation.
  • markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.