Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating hair remover

• hair remover

Posted by Chemist5000 on December 29, 2017 at 12:10 am

If you are making a facial hair remover how much Potassium Thioglycolate should you use. How much should you use for a body remover?  

bill_toge replied 6 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • bill_toge

December 29, 2017 at 3:39 am

personally, if I were creating a body remover, I’d use something like concentrated nitric acid, but if the police ask you any questions I said nothing

facetious remarks aside, it depends on the legal limits in the area you intend to sell it; in Europe, for instance, the maximum thioglycolate level for depilatories is 5% as thioglycolic acid (hence, the limit for potassium thioglycolate is 5% × 130 g/mol ÷ 92 g/mol = 7.06%), and the pH of the product must be between between 7.0 and 12.7

• Chemist5000

December 29, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Thanks @Bill_Toge.
    Its planning to be sold in China. Can you explain the equation you did.  I know 130g is the MW of K-Thio.g what is 92 g/mol.

• doreen

December 29, 2017 at 8:07 pm

@Bill_Toge
    personally, if I were creating a body remover, I’d use something like concentrated nitric acid, but if the police ask you any questions I said nothing

:D 

• bill_toge

December 30, 2017 at 3:48 am

@Chemist5000 thioglycolic acid has a molecular weight of 92 g/mol

the European legal limit is stated as %w/w thioglycolic acid; the conversion factor (130 g/mol ÷ 92 g/mol) accounts for the difference in molecular weight between the acid and its potassium salt