Foundation cream formula - Cosmetic Science Talk

Foundation cream formula

Hi there 
I'm working on a foundation cream formula and upon mixing all the ingredients and just after adding the emulsifier (which is polymeric one) the color completely changed  <span>:sweat:</span>
Althougnatural it was perfect  (natural peige) just before that step
So, what do you think the problem is?!
Thanks in advance 
Tagged:

Comments

• You would need to post the Formula for anyone to comment. Otherwise there are just so many possible issues and it would difficult to assess what is occurring.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • Mark is right, we'd need to see the formula.

Typically, this sort of problem is caused by insufficient pigment wetting, but there are a half-dozen other things it could be also.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Glycerin 20%
    Propylene glycol 10%
    Water 40%
    CPS 10%
    Oils,panthenol,collagen 
    Pigments (titanium dioxide,iron oxides)
    N.B:emulsifier used is polymeric emulsifier
    Here's the full formula
    First I add glycerin and Propylene glycol to the Pigments ,lavigate them well then I added the rest of the ingredients 
  • I don't see a wetting/dispersing agent for the pigments, or a suspending agent for them, or a preservative system . How did you develop this formula? What do you use to grind the pigments?
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Dispersing agents are glycerin and Propylene glycol 
    Preservatives are propyl and methyl parapen 
    Pigments are already grinded (I had them ready to use)
  • There you go, then. Glycerin and Propylene Glycol are very bad dispersing agents for pigments. You need a surfactant (or two).
  • Thank you so much Mr Bob for your precious reply 
    What are your suggestions for the surfactants please?!!
  • And what about polysorbates?!!