Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Dentifrice Raw Materials

• Dentifrice Raw Materials

Posted by thebrain on November 13, 2017 at 5:18 pm

I realize this is outside the scope of cosmetic chemistry, but I’d really be interested in trying to make my own dentifrice. The problem is, that some ingredients are really hard (impossible?) to come by. I can find baking soda (calcium carbonate) easily enough, but none of the various grades needed to make a sensitive toothpaste. I was also looking for arginine bicarbonate, but I can’t find a supplier anywhere. Does anyone know where to find the suppliers? Thanks!

belassi replied 6 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • belassi

November 13, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Just to begin with, calcium carbonate is not baking soda.

• bill_toge

November 13, 2017 at 7:41 pm

also, you’ll need a vacuum-sealed mixer as it’s very prone to aeration

• thebrain

November 13, 2017 at 9:05 pm

@Belassi LOL yes, I don’t know where I came up with that one.

@Bill_Toge Thanks, good idea. I’ve mapped out most of the ingredients that I need, it just a matter of sourcing them. Many are easy to get because they are also used in cosmetics and other products-it’s the specialized stuff (e.g. arginine bicarbonate) that’s hard to source.

• bobzchemist

November 14, 2017 at 2:26 am

Arginine bicarbonate may be proprietary technology and/or patented. It’s pretty advanced stuff for treating sensitive teeth. You’re skating on the edge of OTC products - not something I’d recommend.

• belassi

November 14, 2017 at 4:47 am

Frankly, knocking off Tom’s toothpaste products is not a job for the amateur. I have a reasonable understanding of this area and I would have to allocate several months to get an acceptable product.