Big Sexy Hair - what were they thinking?

PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
Apparently, they made claims on their bottles that the product was "sulfate free" and "salt free".  But then in their formula they had Sodium Chloride, Ammonium Chloride and Sodium Sulfate.  I can't figure out why they had Sodium Sulfate but that must have been a typo. I also can't figure out, why would they make such an obvious error?

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/502725-sexy-hair-class-action-claims-sulfate-free-shampoo-falsely-labeled/

Just goes to show, check your formulas & make sure you can prove all your claims.

Comments

• Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    or better still, don't claim things that are blatantly false

we've had customers who wanted "chemical free" products, and we've had to explain exactly why it's not possible to have a genuinely chemical-free product in either the scientific or the legal sense
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  •  :) 
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    @Bill_Toge - And I bet those customers push back on you saying something like "But this company makes that claim, why can't we?"

• ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    We previously had a deodorant that had cetearyl alcohol in it but no ethanol and we got push back from customers because we claimed it was alcohol-free.

Luckily the FDA has an information page that we could refer customers to regarding alcohol-free claims.

https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Labeling/Claims/ucm2005201.htm

• Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    @Perry actually no, they didn't; not least because the Advertising Standards Agency is very strict when it comes to dealing with transparently false claims, so to the best of my knowledge, there are no successful UK brands which make those claims
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    There seem to be lots of 'chemical free' claims here in the US.  Particularly in the sunscreen area.  
  • A desperate way to sell your product. Very bad.