Titanium - Cosmetic Science Talk

Titanium

Hello,
I'm making liquid matte lip color and notice that certain color mixes show up different in the lip gloss tube where it looks nothing like the color made.

Example.

6½ tsp. Isododecane

2 tsp. Flake Resin (Trimethylsiloxysilicate)

½ tsp. Candelilla wax

2¼ tsp. Dimethicone 1.5

¼ tsp. Nylon 12

½ tsp. Silica Dimethyl Silylate

¼ tsp. Silicon Dioxide

3 drops Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin

2 tsp. Colorant (Powders 1/2 tsp each: Red 7, Yellow IO, Black IO, Brown IO) 

(Liquid w/ Castor oil: 1 drop Blue 1, 2 tsp. Titanium)

I blend this very well and it goes on great on the lips but shows streaky in the lip gloss tube. Almost like a foam mixed with the color. It doesnt do this with all the colors mostly those where I used white. I have tried Titanium Dioxide, Titanium Dioxide-Rutile, Titanium Dioxide liquid (premixed with castor oil). Not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Did you put it in the tube while it's hot? As in almost like boiling hot?
  • We have liquid matte lipsticks too but we never encountered that problem when we put it in the tube. 
  • I've seen similar effects when hot pouring a waxy iron oxide coloured product. I think its to do with the particle size of the pigment. The colour "float" improved with the addition of a  wetting agent, we had success with lecithin.
  • Yes, it absolutely has to do with pigment particle size. On a home level, there's not much you can do unless you buy grinding equipment or buy pre-ground pigment dispersions. A hand muller and a frosted glass grinding plate is what I usually recommend for home use. http://www.art-boards.com/Small Glass Muller.htm 
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."