Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions CAPB (Cocamidopropyl Betaine) temperature sensitive?

• CAPB (Cocamidopropyl Betaine) temperature sensitive?

Posted by em88 on October 20, 2017 at 11:50 am

Greetings,
    I was making a few formulation trials and noticed that CAPB is temperature sensitive in terms of homogenization and viscosity, not sure if anyone noticed this before.
    For the same formulation I made the following modifications
     - First trial, I dissolved SLES and water in hot water. After the water was around 25 C I added CAPB. At first it increased the viscosity a lot (like a gel) than after homogenization the viscosity decreased. I had to increase the temperature to homogenize CAPB properly. Also a lot of foam was created. After that I added Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate. 
     - Second trial, was hot water + SLES. Than I added Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate at around 50 C (not very accurate) and than I added CAPB. This time CAPB did not increase the viscosity too much and the final result was almost the same as before, but much less foam was created and the homogenization was relatively quicker (in time). 
     - Third trial, same as above (second trial) but the temperature was kept at around 70-75 C. The final result was a little more different in terms of viscosity, which was significantly lower than the second trial. 
    So at what temperature would you recommend to add CAPB?

Thank you

em88 replied 6 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • chemist77

October 20, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Generally we always do at RT since the end result is going to be same, further if not HP then why heat at all.

• em88

October 20, 2017 at 5:52 pm

At room temperature it kind of turns into gel and it makes the homoganization harder. I’m going to test an other time at room temperature and if it’s not good will increase the temperature at about 45

• chemist77

October 21, 2017 at 4:40 am

Forgot to mention that it is again all subjective to the quantities you use. For us it is liquid enough to process at RT but if I go higher then maybe a process change wouldn’t be a bad idea.

• em88

October 21, 2017 at 7:46 am

In the formulation I’m trying to improve, CAPB is at 8% 
    Thank you.

• em88

October 23, 2017 at 1:40 pm

I have checked a few CAPB suppliers and from some of their example formulations, I noticed that if CAPB is in higher % it is incorporated at 45-60 C while in lower % it is added in RT. 

• em88

October 24, 2017 at 12:01 pm

I tried to add CAPB at 25-35 C and indeed the viscosity increased, but the % was too high to dissolve at this temperature so I had to increase it at 45-50 and as expected the viscosity decreased while it dissolved till a clear solution was obtained.  :)