Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Help! Toner is sticky!

• belassi

October 10, 2017 at 1:30 pm

It’s probably the ethanol. I did not find a way around this. However, the effect should go away in a few minutes.

• markbroussard

October 10, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Betaine tends to be quite sticky.  If your Multifruits BSC are in a glycerine base, that could be another contributing factor.

• drbobverdient-biz

October 10, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Silicone polyol DC  193 (1-2%) 

• Lainee

October 23, 2017 at 1:13 am

Update: Removed betaine. Still sticky. 

• bill_toge

October 23, 2017 at 6:51 am

my prime suspect is PEG-40 HCO; try using a different solubiliser, e.g. polysorbate 20

• Lainee

October 23, 2017 at 7:08 am

Update: Removed Betaine and Multifruits BSC. Still sticky. 

@Bill_Toge I only have here PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Polyglyceryl-3 Caprylate/Caprate/Succinate and Propylene Glycol, PEG-40 HCO and Polysorbate 60. 

One of my benchmarks has PEG-40 HCO but it doesnt feel sticky. 

• Lainee

October 23, 2017 at 7:16 am

@Bill_Toge As far as i know, polysorbates are sticky. I’m just using a solubilizer to clear my mixture cause it gets cloudy once I mixed phase B to A. 

• drbobverdient-biz

October 24, 2017 at 3:37 am

Try replacing some of the etoh with PG

• crisbaysauli

October 27, 2017 at 10:01 am

agree with @Bill_Toge. @Lainee try lowering PEG 40 to 0.50% since your alcohol is already at 35% the risk of having a cloudy solution is low already. You wouldn’t need too much PEG-40 since it seems to me you don’t have to solubilize any oil at all.

• RDKOXYNERGY

October 28, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Add bit butylene glycol or propylene glycol. You have also some water soluble silicones thar remive sticky after feel. You can also add bit of hyaluronic acid.

• RDKOXYNERGY

October 28, 2017 at 4:28 pm

I guess also with only 1% salicylic you can reduce ethanol. 35 is too much. I guess with 15% it will be enough. If you add butylene glycol it will also helps to solubilize your salicylic acid.