Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions How long does it take for a pomade to reach its full hardness?

Tagged: , ,

• How long does it take for a pomade to reach its full hardness?

Posted by ultraduy on September 24, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Hello guys,

I have been reading that it takes up to three days for waxes, butters and even oils to reach their final texture/hardness, so in short I have to wait three days before testing a new product. Is this a myth or is there real science behind it? It really annoys me to wait three days before trying my new formulas. Can anybody break this down? From my common sense, the new product doesn’t really change once it fully reaches room temperature.

oldperry replied 6 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • bill_toge

September 25, 2017 at 7:00 am

that depends on which waxes you use in the formula, the congealing point of the formula, and how much shear is applied below that temperature

in general I find products like this have fully hardened by the following morning

• ultraduy

September 25, 2017 at 1:49 pm

I use candelilla, carnauba and hydrogenated castor oil. Does 3 days apply to these waxes?

• oldperry

September 26, 2017 at 7:44 pm

This may be ingredient source and manufacturing process dependent. You can easily find out by making a batch or two and taking measurements over time. 

There are a lot of unknowns in the cosmetic industry and a lot of information that people believe that is probably not true. Many things just haven’t been rigorously tested.