Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Puppies, Kitties, Horses -oh my!

• Puppies, Kitties, Horses -oh my!

Posted by Chemist5000 on September 19, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Anybody familiar with formulating for animals?  I am being asked to come up with a medicated pet shampoo (chlorhexidine and phytosphingosine salicyloyl and climbazole) and possible conditioner.

Any references I can look up?

Because its an animal I don’t want to brush off the fact this type of formulation may have its own set of concerns…Any suggestions helpful..

markbroussard replied 6 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • belassi

September 19, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Just don’t use isothializone type preservatives is all I can say.

• markbroussard

September 19, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Formulating for animals is not much different than formulating for humans.  The major exception is the skin pH of animals is in the pH 7.0 to 7.5 range, so you’ll want your end products to be in this range.  Their skin tends to be thinner than human skin and more subject to irritant, so keep your ingredients mild and gentle as though you were formulating baby products.  Other than that, you can consider animals to be humans with fur and no opposable thumb.

• drbobverdient-biz

September 19, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Baby Shampoo/conditioner model is best bet-been there done that.

High-lathering non-irritating detergent compositions

RJ Verdicchio, JM Walts - US Patent 3,950,417, 1976 - Google Patents
  • Chemist5000

September 19, 2017 at 10:02 pm

so with the OTC’s (colloidal silver, chlorohexidine, 
    Ketoconazole, oatmeal) just add at recommended use ?

Mine me asking but I always thought you couldn’t use dog products on cats or on humans?

• markbroussard

September 19, 2017 at 10:18 pm

The standard for these products is 2% Chlorhexidine and 1% Ketoconazole.  The issue you’re going to have is solubilizing the Ketoconazole so it does not precipitate out.

I often use my dog’s shampoo if I run out of human shampoo … it’s really not an absolute that you cannot use a shampoo cross-species, other than dog shampoo will be more like baby shampoo.  The shampoo doesn’t know if you’re a dog, cat or human.  The issue is the mildness and the pH.

• belassi

September 20, 2017 at 1:47 am

Mark: Woof! Woof! Scritchy scratchy!

• markbroussard

September 20, 2017 at 1:56 am

LOL, Belassi! … I am just finishing up one of these Chlorhexidine/Ketoconazole products, so it is fresh in my mind.

But, on the cross-species issue … that’s mostly a marketing gimmick.  But, I do notice that I tend to shed more when I used the dog shampoo.  Oh! .. there’s a fire hydrant! … gotta go!