Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin Cream with Colostrum Powder

• Cream with Colostrum Powder

Posted by Priya on May 21, 2014 at 7:15 am

Hello all, I am formulating cream with 5%, 7%., 10% colostrum powder.
    But my formulation is not stable. colostrum has its own type odour cause
    of no more perfume retained in formula even in 1% & very important
    query is that the formulation turns to yellow with unpleasant smell
    after a weak.

Pls help me to solve this query.

Priya replied 9 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Priya

May 21, 2014 at 7:18 am

If I wan to make preservative free cream with colostrum then what herbal ingredients should be added in my formula. 

• MakingSkincare

May 21, 2014 at 8:12 am
    Sounds like your formula isn’t preserved properly.  “Herbal” ingredients are not going to be enough to preserve your product.  Colostrum powder (“bug food”) will be challenge to preserve. I would reduce your % of it drastically.  

There are some preservatives you can use and still call your product “preservative free” - have a look at Glyceryl Caprylate/Dermosoft GMCY, p-Anisic Acid/Dermosoft® 688 eco and naticide which are reviewed here - http://makingskincare.com/preservatives/

Do bear in mind that if you are going to have any hope of the above preservatives working, that there’s a lot more to preservation than just adding a preservative eg reducing water activity, using packaging which minimises contamination in use, microbiological testing of raw ingredients and process water, etc and adding 0.1% disodium EDTA (heated water phase) and glycols will help. Another major factor is the amount of “bug food” in the formula - this often gives overlooked.  I see many people putting goat’s milk, honey, hydrosols, floral waters, aloe vera, extracts, protein, powders, starches etc in their formulas which will really challenge the preservative system.  For more info on this see the link above.

• Priya

May 21, 2014 at 8:32 am

Thanks for your valuable response.I will definitely go through that sight.
    I would also like to share you that I have dropped the colostrum % from 5 to 3 but still there was same problem, the formulation turns yellow with unpleasant smell after three four days. I am already using EDTA for chelating agent.

• bobzchemist

May 21, 2014 at 10:50 am

Keep dropping the powder levels. 0.10% is a good starting point, and then try 0.01% if that doesn’t work.

Why are you using so much? Are you under the impression that colostrum powder actually has any effect on skin?
  • Priya

May 22, 2014 at 2:25 am

Yes Bobz cause they have following information.