Sterilization - Cosmetic Science Talk

Sterilization

For those who are manufacturing their skincare products at home, how do you sterilize your equipment and containers?

a. wash with soap
b. hot water bath
c. 5% bleach solution bath
d. spray with alcohol
Tagged:

Comments

• Firstly, you really don't sterilize, you are sanitizing. Sterile properties are only maintained or achieved in a sterile manufacturing setting such as a laminar flow hood.

Your first and best measure is to buy packaging components from a reputable supplier, keep the outer packaging secure as long as possible and to try not to stock more than you can use within a reputable period.

Soap, hot water and bleach are out for multiple reasons. In sanitary cGMP manufacturing, spraying surfaces and components with a 70% Isopropyl alcohol solution is quite common.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • Thank you for the guidance @Microformulation!
  • I use 70% ethanol.
    Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.
  • In the US and many other places, IPA is easier to get and works as well. You have the right ABV though. Several years ago a Microbiologist mentioned that he had observed that the 90% IPA or in your case 190 proof Ethanol did not work as well. He postulated that it had to do with contact time. I will have to see if he published his findings.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • I use  Hydrogen peroxide for processing containers after washing them with glass washing liquids. Usually I get 20 cfu/g in the end. To be confident of the required 3% concentration I use 7% Hydrogen peroxide.
  • edited September 8
    Belassi  How do you dry plastic containers after processing them with Alcohol? Glass container can be dried in oven under 50-60C temperature.

• To dry the containers I just leave them upside down to air dry, doesn't take long.
    Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.
  • Hydrogen peroxide can be reactive, hence the reason it is avoided.

Alcohol will evaporate after being sprayed on as a sanitizer.
  • I use IPA and Ethanol. Both at 70%