Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Requests / Opportunities Advice for starting a hobby in Cosmetic manufacuring at home

• Advice for starting a hobby in Cosmetic manufacuring at home

Posted by PADDY on September 5, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Hi all, My name is Paddy and yes I’m from Ireland. I have over 20 years experience in the Cosmetic environment and specifically in manufacturing, GMP, PIFS, QA etc. I just recently have decided to start manufacturing as a hobby initially and I was wondering is there anyone out their that would give me advice on set up,raw materials etc. I’m thinking of making a shampoo first and my friend is a hairdresser and she has lots of contacts in this area
    Thanks in advance.
    Paddy from Paddyland☘☘☘☘☘

dr-catherine-pratt replied 5 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • belassi

September 5, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Shampoo is a good choice to start with. One thing: do not assume that you will find hairdressing salons good places to sell a shampoo. They are the worst. To avoid many hassles, I recommend you get hold of some Plantaren APB and use that as a base.

• oldperry

September 5, 2017 at 11:00 pm
  • PADDY

September 7, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Thanks so much. I have a good fix on equipment but getting formulations and raw materials maybe problematic. I have tried to sign up or register with Croda and might use their formulations and maybe get chemical raw materials from them. Any suggestions or any home manufacturers in Ireland or UK that has gone through this start up process? Also thinking of doing PIFS for potential clients in the future. I am passionate about this industry and I would love to make a hobby of it first and a new career in the future. I am so happy there are  people like yourselves that gave your time and knowledge  free. Respect!!!!!
    Paddy☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘

• belassi

September 7, 2017 at 10:20 pm

I have tried to sign up or register with Croda
    Not an advisable choice. They are not beginner-friendly and have huge MOQs (minimum ordering quantities).

• oldperry

September 7, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Better is to try and sign up with UL Prospector.

• PADDY

September 8, 2017 at 6:25 am

Thanks boys, will try UL Prospector tonite. ☘☘☘☘☘

• dr-catherine-pratt

April 23, 2018 at 8:20 am

Hi Paddy,
    If you still need formulation help (refresher) I can help you set up your lab and give you simple but effective formulas and show you how to make them. Then you can go on to more complex ones. I am an Ozzy but am working for people all over the world, I can make videos, skype, i-phone face to face, phone, email. Cheer