Manufacturing cosmetics from home - Cosmetic Science Talk

Manufacturing cosmetics from home

In the UK, is there a defined rule and regulation, for manufacturing cosmetics from home?  as in, could i directly start making formulations at home or i need to get manufacturing approvals or approvals from trading standards etc? The intended use is to sell these . Am  aware of the product registration requirements, however not clear if i need specific approvals to make them at home.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• the Cosmetics Regulations 1223/2009 EC apply to all cosmetics, regardless of where they're made

no approval is needed to place products on the market, but you do need to register your product(s) on the Cosmetic Product Notification Portal, preferably before launch
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • We are a small manufacturer, GMP certificated, and aware of the EU requirements. We export to a few countries.

My company, Indochine Natural, started in Viet Nam as a home based operation where I "fiddled" and developed basic recipes. We then graduated to a small production facility and implemented a full QC system. Next step was to set up a production facility in Malaysia.

In my opinion, I think that a home operator  would find it very difficult to comply with all of the requirements and Safety Assessment of EU Cosmetic Product Notification.

Would love you to prove me wrong though......

Dr. Mike Thair
    Cofounder & Chief Formulator
    Indochine Natural
  • Many thanks for your feedbacks :)
  • You would also need to have a seperate working area in your house. A kitchen (where most homecrafters prepare) is most definitely not according GMP if you intend to sell.