Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Protein in Hair Conditioner

• Protein in Hair Conditioner

Posted by mikethair on August 18, 2017 at 1:58 am

I am currently working on a new hair conditioner with protein. We have available Hydrolyzed Rice Protein @ AUD$ 810.00 per Kg (about US$640.00). This is the only form of protein available from our regular suppliers. At recommended useage rates of around 2%, this is making the hair conditioner very expensive.

My queries:

(1) Is this the going price for protein these days?

(2) Any possible subbsitutes for protein?

Thanks.

mikethair replied 6 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • belassi

August 18, 2017 at 3:56 am

make your own hydrolised proteins. some of them, eg oat, are really easy.

• ozgirl

August 18, 2017 at 5:55 am

Not sure about Rice Protein but we pay significantly less in Australia for hydrolyzed wheat proteins. Even from a reseller you can get hydrolysed wheat proteins for ~$75/kg.

• mikethair

August 18, 2017 at 9:42 am

Hi ozgirl……we source from Australia (I’m an aussie)….. can you provide any suppliers in Oz for hydrolyzed wheat proteins? Crikey, hydrolysed wheat proteins for ~$75/kg…..

Our current supplier is New Directions in Oz (Sydney).

Thanks.

• bill_toge

August 18, 2017 at 10:30 am

@mikethair can you source materials from Croda? in my experience, they charge significantly less than any of the prices listed above for their hydrolysed proteins 

• chemist77

August 18, 2017 at 12:59 pm

I second that @Bill_Toge, have used them in the past and they are great in pricing/quality both.

• mikethair

August 19, 2017 at 7:26 am

Thanks @Bill_Toge & @Chemist77 ….. will give Croda a try.

• ozgirl

August 21, 2017 at 10:00 pm

@mikethair for small quantities (<5kg) try Aussie Soap Supplies. For larger quantities (>20kg) try Ingredients Plus (for BASF proteins) or Chem Supply (for Croda proteins). We only pay between $AUS 20 and $AUS 50 /kg for wheat and oat proteins.

• Cagouchick

August 22, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Tri-K Industries have a large range of hydrolised proteins for hair care. In NZ the supplier for them is Ingredients Plus and pricing is similar to the others stated above.

• mikethair

August 24, 2017 at 6:24 am

Well @Bill_Toge & @Chemist77 ….. I did give Croda a try. They have headquarters in Singapore and they very effcientlyhandballed me to an agent in Malaysia. Using  the typical Malaysian supply mode menatlity of Traders, when I requested a powder/dry form of protein, they provided a quote and technical literature for a aqueous form. An email from me asking if they had the dry Croda protein, the answer came back in one word…”No.” I did not see any offer of sourcing the Croda product, etc etc…. just a simple “No.”

Conveyed this to the office in Singapore who then contacted the Malaysia rep. He then spun a yarn to Singapore of having conatced me via phone and that all was cool, no problems. Of course they didn’t.

Its a loooong way from UK, and I wonder if Croda are aware of local agents tarnishing what I would imagine is a good Croda brand name?

• bill_toge

August 25, 2017 at 5:16 pm

@mikethair that is shockingly poor service, notwithstanding the fact that Crotein HKP Powder is a stock item over here

if memory serves I believe @Chemist77 is based in India; you may have better luck contacting Croda’s agents in that part of the world

• chemist77

August 28, 2017 at 11:23 am

@Bill_Toge I am based in Dubai and I have had a wonderful experience working with Croda. Advantage here is that they have a direct sales office here. But with Mike’s experience I too would think twice to deal with such ‘passing the buck’ attitude. I guess I am just lucky to deal directly.

• mikethair

August 28, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Thanks for your tip @Bill_Toge, but from my experience if Croda have an agent in Singapore who deal with middlemen in Malaysia, then the Croda agent in India will be unwilling to deal with me. Have had this situation with other global companies. 

Anyway, have sent an email to Croda UK…… will see if I get a response. I do not expect this to be resolved, but at least Croda should be aware, and will be an indication as to if they even care.