Tocopherol in Hair serum - Cosmetic Science Talk

Tocopherol in Hair serum

I created a formula composed of only oil. It contains some essential and carrier oils in the right proportions for hair. I am however, confused about tocopherol. I want to know:
1. which is a better antioxidant, alpha or gamma?
2. Which vitamin e oil contains the highest amount of the better antioxidant? i heard of t50 for gamma, but i'm not sure.
3. what percetange of it should i add to my formular to ensure high anti oxidant activity, and also safety.

Comments

• We had good results using 5% VE with mixed isomers  --All involved patients were seen over an eight-week period, during which they were required to supplement their current acne regimen with topically applied vitamin E [tocopherol 5% (alpha 11.4%][delta 15%][gamma/beta 45%) in sunflower seed oil]. The supplemented regimen was applied once per day over an eight-week period.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4756869/
  • edited August 12
    To protect an anhydrous oil from oxidation, 5% Tocopherol is far too high.

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • I am reading antioxidant efficacy in formula? VE for oil antioxidant use .05--.! % in which case isomer used becomes less important. 
  • ok thank you. but i'm still expecting the answer for which to use either alpha or gamma? and which oil contains the higher amount of the better one?

• Both have equivalent Redox potentials versus ROS on equimolar basis.Vegatable oils have low levels of both expressed in mg/KG so for antioxidant efficacy in an anhydrous hair product add 1% d alpha Tocopherol (BIOCHEMICA) to the oils you currently use.
  • edited August 13

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11746-002-0433-6
    (Quote: "For example, the optimal concentrations for α-tocopherol and γ-tocopherol were ∼100 and ∼300 ppm, respectively, whereas δ-tocopherol did not exhibit a distinct concentration optimum at the levels studied (P<0.05). The optimal concentration for the natural tocopherol mixture ranged between 340 and 660 ppm tocopherols (P<0.05)".)

So their verdict is: 0,01% is the optimum concentration for alpha- and gamma tocopherol before it becomes pro-oxidative; 0,03-0,06% is the optimum dose for mixed tocopherols.

• Thank you. So helpful!