Finding suppliers for small quantities - Cosmetic Science Talk

Finding suppliers for small quantities

I have a variety of ingredients that I need for R&D, product feedback and test marketing. All of the suppliers that I've found require large minimums (ie. 55 gal or 20 L) for most ingredients. They usually will supply samples that are large enough for R&D, but not for product feedback and test marketing. 

I'd have to spend thousands on ingredients, much of which will be wasted. Is there a list of wholesalers that cater to smaller companies? If you know of any wholesalers, please let me know.

Comments

• A good start would be to inform us of where you are!
    Design of anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics. In-house label and box design capability.
  • That's a great question. I'm in North Carolina in the US.
  • Oh, you have lots of options then.
    Design of anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics. In-house label and box design capability.
  • Great! Could you share a few?
  • Your colleagues in the USA will be able to.
  • Try Formulator Sample Shop. They offer smaller quantities at retail prices. If and when you grow, you will get the same product wholesale directly from the distributors. They add inventory often and if there is enough demand they will explore adding additional products. http://www.formulatorsampleshop.com/

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • edited August 11
    @kawina:

There are a number of "re-packers" who offer a variety of ingredients in small sizes:

Makingcosmetics
    Lotioncrafter
    Essential Wholesale
    The Herbarie
    Ingredients To Die For
    From Nature With Love
    Formulator Sample Shop

Often, if you inquire with the manufacturer telling them you need sufficient quantity to run batches for test marketing, they will sell to you by the kilo (or sample a kilo to you).
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

Provides Formulation Development and Lab-Scale Contract Manufacturing Services.  See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com

• I have heard good things about Essential Wholesale.