Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Activated Charcoal Hair Shampoo

• Activated Charcoal Hair Shampoo

Posted by Anonymous on July 28, 2017 at 3:28 pm

hello,
    I wanted to formulate activated charcoal containing shampoo. can you please tell me the concentration of charcoal in hair shampoos? 
    thanks in advance.

RKB replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • belassi

July 28, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Your answer is: NONE. There is no reason to include charcoal in shampoo.

• markbroussard

July 29, 2017 at 10:41 pm

@varsha13vaibhav:

I generally include it at 0.5% in cleansing products and that amount is sufficient.

• RKB

November 12, 2023 at 7:40 pm

Mark, do you find it hard to keep it in suspension? Appreciate any insights!

• clueth

July 31, 2017 at 10:42 am

I don’t think that’s necessary for shampoo. It doesn’t really do anything, does it?

• david

August 1, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Activated charcoal is very effective in absorbing all kinds of chemicals and therefore a good marketing argument since most people know this. I cannot see how this will work in a shampoo though. The charcoal will just “grab” the the available ingredients in the shampoo formulation and get “deactivated”.
    For marketing reasons use as little as possible without loosing the trust of your customers (who are buying it because they think it works). 0,5% is a good level for this purpose.

• PhilGeis

November 12, 2023 at 8:01 pm

Activated charcoal in cosmetics is useless.

You’ll need enough for consumers to see it when they use the product.

• markbroussard

November 13, 2023 at 6:33 am

@RKB

I have not made an Activated Charcoal Shampoo in some number of years. But, if I recall, unless your shampoo is viscous enough it will eventually precipitate out.

• RKB

November 13, 2023 at 8:23 pm

Thank you, Mark!