Hand Sanitizer with Limonene - Cosmetic Science Talk

Hand Sanitizer with Limonene

Hi everyone,
                    I want to create a simple hand sanitizer formula with Limonene. I will appreciate your feedback.

2 % d-Limonene

12% polysorbate 20

85 - 79.5% Rubbing Alcohol

0.5% to 1% preservative

I'd like to add some skin humectant as well but the base formula doesn't have a good viscosity yet. Since I'm not expert on this, I try to be away from carbopol. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• 12% Polysorbate 20 is way too much for solubilizing Limonene which is why you cannot thicken the formula.Drop th Limonene to 1% and dissolve it in polysorbate 80 also at 1%.Use HEC to thicken by adding to water first; followed by alcohol;polysorbate 80/Limonene mix; when clear and preservative.
  • edited July 19
    Limonene on skin is a massively bad idea.
    http://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/cicad/en/cicad05.pdf
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • edited July 19
    Bobzchemist   cant follow link;gives an error message

------
    Admin:
    ** I fixed the link above ***
  • WHO

PubMed

Significant precautions need to be used to keep the Limonene from oxidizing and becoming an irritant/allergen. I think using it in skincare is a Very Bad Idea (tm).
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Thanks everyone! I didn't know about Limonene issues. The intention is to incorporate a solvent to clean your hands and disinfect at the same time. Does anybody know a Limonene alternative to use?   Thank you!!
  • Finsolv TN