Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Pasteurisation of Hydrosols

• Pasteurisation of Hydrosols

Posted by mikethair on July 7, 2017 at 9:26 am

Has not been a problem in the past, but we now find ourselves with a batch of contaminated hydrosol. Checked with the supplier, they do not microbial test their hydrosols, and they are not preserved.

We have Zero yeasts/fungi, but 5 CFU/cm2 total plate count bacteria. Issue is that the hydrosol is now filled in 100 mL bottles. (I know, bulk supply should have been tested before filling)

Question now is, has anyone had experience with pasteurising hydrosols? Any suggestions appreciated.

mikethair replied 6 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • manuksh

July 7, 2017 at 10:19 am

Which is allowed value for total plate count bacteria? As much as I have experience in testing, most of time I got 2-3CFU for sterilized fruit juice.
    https://www.fda.gov/food/foodscienceresearch/laboratorymethods/ucm063346.htm 

• manuksh

July 7, 2017 at 10:49 am

From another point of view, some emulsion forming processes require the aqua part to be heated till 80-85C. It means that in any cases your hydrosol, which is part of water phase gets pasteurized. 

• mikethair

July 8, 2017 at 7:47 am

Sorry, a typo in my original post…..it should be 500 CFU/cm2.

In response to @manuksh the ASEAN Guidelines state <500 CFU/g for products for children under 3 years, eye area and mucous membranes, and =< 1000 cfu/g for other products.

• mikethair

July 8, 2017 at 10:05 am

Sorry again, I am making mistakes converting between units, plus updates to the ASEAN Guidelines which have also revised units

In response to @manuksh the ASEAN Guidelines state =< 500 cfu/g or cfu/ml in products for children under 3 years, eye area and mucous membranes, and =< 1000 cfu/g or cfu/ml.

Our results are ranging between TPC Bacteria = 100,000 CFU/mL down to 1,000 CFU/mL, which of course are problematic.

One solution “may” be pasteurising these hydrosols?

• manuksh

July 8, 2017 at 11:11 pm

I would suggest to pasteurize.  I always keep this way with aqua phase before emulsifying. Even Aloe fruit juice. I heat it till 90C, then cool down to 70-75C and mix to oil phase and homogenize. One more question from my side? What is better to use, hydrosols or decoctions (tinctures with hot boiled water instead of alcohol )? 

• bobzchemist

July 9, 2017 at 1:21 pm

The only way I’ve found to eliminate bacteria when something is already packaged is to irradiate. In most cases, you just won’t be able to get your product hot enough to kill the bacteria and still keep the package intact.

• mikethair

July 14, 2017 at 1:40 am

UPDATE: I pasteurized these bottles @ 60 C for 30 minutes. The TPC Bacteria = 100,000 CFU/mL was reduced down to 0 CFU/mL.

Seems to be a good approach. Will repeat the microbial tests just to be sure.