Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Transferring lotion in narrow necked tottle

• Transferring lotion in narrow necked tottle

Posted by Discovery on June 22, 2017 at 12:11 am

Besides the frosting bag transfer method, does anyone know of an efficient, commercial and large scale method I can use for transferring kind of thick lotion into a narrow necked tottle bottle? Thanks for your input. 

Anonymous replied 6 years, 6 months ago 11 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • belassi

June 22, 2017 at 12:43 am

A pump or automated dispenser.

• Discovery

June 22, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Do you know where I can find either a pump or automated dispenser? Thank you for your input. 

• belassi

June 22, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I found one with Google, but I don’t have the link handy.

• johnb

June 23, 2017 at 7:19 am

Does Google (or other search engines) not operate in your part of the world?

• microformulation

June 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Off topic, but we either need a compartmentalized area for DIY’ers or alternatively a compartmentalized area for people working in the Commercial Market. I have been a member for over 10 years now and it is getting harder to follow the hard Technical topics when they are interspersed with the “I am not a Chemist but I love make-up so I decided to google” posts.

• johnb

June 23, 2017 at 2:04 pm

I am not a Chemist but I love make-up so I decided to google

Or perhaps a thread on how to Google.

• oldperry

June 23, 2017 at 2:26 pm
  • oldperry

June 23, 2017 at 2:33 pm

@Microformulation - we have tried to address this in the past and there is a category “advanced questions” which ostensibly is for that.  However, it’s not used very often.

Also, not everyone will agree on what’s an advanced question or not.  For example, this question was asking for a commercial, large scale method of filling narrow necked bottles.

It’s true, the original questioner could “google it” but they would also have to know what search terms to use and have no way of figuring out what is a good piece of equipment and what isn’t. Asking on this forum could save them a bunch of time in making a decision if someone already knows what works. 

• doctorbrenda

June 23, 2017 at 10:23 pm

I agree.  I don’t think that was an “amateur” question that doesn’t deserve a simple suggestive response.  If you have experience that has been successful (or not), why not just let others know what has worked (or not worked) in your personal or professional experience.  Sure, everyone knows how to Google, but when somebody is selling something, they don’t always tell you ALL the pros and cons of what you’re about to buy/try.  That’s why consumer reviews are SO HELPFUL to people.  If I found 10 gadgets that I thought could help me with cosmetic formulating, I would still want to know what other formulators have found to be easy to use, a good investment, or things that may be unknown to the buyer that could be disappointing or frustrating.

If a post is not of much interest, or you think it’s beneath your level of expertise, then just ignore it.

• davidw

June 23, 2017 at 11:13 pm

IF you want a truly commercial and large scale (depends on your definition) buy a simplex filling machine.
    http://www.simplexfiller.com/machinery/products/AS1.html

• johnb

June 24, 2017 at 7:42 am

If I Google the words “bottle filling equipment” (couldn’t be much more simple or direct than that) I am met with an extremely large number of potentially useful hits. If I scroll to the bottom of the first page I see links to:

manual bottle filling equipment

bottle filling machine

small liquid filling machine

table top liquid filling machine

manual hand operated liquid bottle filling machine

liquid filling machine

manual bottle filling machine

second hand filling machine

Each of these opens a vast opportunity for further investigation. I don’t think my earlier response was unreasonable considering the current equipment seems to comprise a “frosting bag”. What it does do is offer links to a number of sources of numerous types,  capacities and sizes of fillers which should provide a lot more information to the enquirer than any of the other offerings.

I do try to be helpful here and my suggestion to use the facilities of Google was offered seriously and with the best intentions. Questions like:

does anyone know of an efficient, commercial and large scale method

invite, indeed beg, the use of a search engine (Google or any other) to provide a suitable, comprehensive answer. Commercial and large scale may mean anything from, say, a couple of litres per hour up to many tonnes in the same period.

• markbroussard

June 24, 2017 at 11:42 pm

“Does Google (or other search engines) not operate in your part of the world?”

Really? … This is a smartass comment that is not intended to be helpful at all, but sarcastic and demeaning.

No one here needs to answer each and every post … if you think it’s an amateur or someone too lazy to do their own research, then don’t waste your time answering.

The nice thing about ChemistsCorner is that there are very few flames and only a couple of regular posters who post with a condescending attitude on occasion.

So, let’s all be mindful of that … As a scientist, your first question should have been … “please define what volume you mean by “commercial and large scale” so we may help guide you in the right direction.

• drbobverdient-biz

June 25, 2017 at 3:05 pm

I agree, as Scientists, we are not here to be demeaning to anyone:as People mutual respect should be an inherent  attribute in providing information or direction.

• johnb

June 25, 2017 at 4:28 pm

I have said all I intend on this. I will now keep my own counsel.

• Discovery

June 25, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Thank you to those of you who kindly and informatively responded to my questions. I am no chemist but have an advanced degree in nursing and am use to freely sharing my expertise with others interested in my profession, so assumed those responding to questions on this forum would be similarly eager to share their knowledge. So, I am sorry if I offended anyone with my ignorance. I am taking Perry’s online class and thought this forum was an appropriate place to ask questions. I can now see I was mistaken.  

• markbroussard

June 25, 2017 at 7:46 pm

@Discovery:

Don’t let snide comments from a couple of posters deter you from asking questions … just ignore those comments.  You’ll receive plenty of helpful advice from the community at-large.  This site is intended for formulators at all levels of expertise from beginners to seasoned formulators.

We all learn new things on this site regardless of years of experience.

• Discovery

June 26, 2017 at 2:24 am

Mark, thank you for your encouragement. Perhaps one day I’ll be responding as an expert to others new to the industry:)

• tanelise

June 29, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Discovery, don’t be discouraged. I’m not a chemist but the info I’ve obtained here is invaluable. There are a lot of seasoned chemist here who share their knowledge freely. I too have taken Perry’s classes and proudly display my certificates in my treatment room (I’m an Esthetician).

My guess is that more and more “crafters” and hobbyists have stumbled upon this forum. I’m sure I’ve asked questions that annoyed some, but I’ve always received very professional, and sometimes very detailed responses that helped me get to the next phase.

One thing that I always do before I ask any question is to search the forum to make damned sure it hasn’t been answered already.

• Discovery

June 29, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Good thoughts tanelise. And thank you for your encouragement!

• Discovery

June 29, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Perry,

Thank you for the link to the high viscosity hand pump! Just what I had in mind and at a good price. 

• bobzchemist

June 29, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I’m going to suggest that whenever someone posts a request like this, that they include the amount of money they have to spend. Our recommendations will be very different for someone who wants to spend $100 versus someone who’s willing to spend $10,000, or even more, or somewhere in-between. 

It would be a waste of time to suggest one of these $6,000 fillers to someone who can only afford one of these at $600 or one of these or these at about $400, or even only one of these manual fillers at $125.

• Anonymous

September 10, 2017 at 12:50 pm

New filler for small batches that actually works for thick lotions, body butters, cremes.  Under $400.  www.cosmeticlabsupplies.com their EZ Fill.