Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Emulsifiers for Eye Cream Formulation

• Emulsifiers for Eye Cream Formulation

Posted by heathergrace on June 10, 2017 at 2:01 am

Hello All,

In your opinion, what would be the most effective emulsifier(s) for an eye cream formula? Here is what I have thus far: 

Part A 
    Cucumber Extract 10%
    Rose Hydrosol 5%
    Witch Hazel Distillate 5% 
    Distilled Water 40%

Part B 
    Emulsifier? 6%
    Liquid Lecithin  3%
    Sweet Almond Oil  4%
    Cranberry Seed Oil  2%
    Shea Butter  2%
    Coconut Oil 2%

Part C 
    Vitamin E  .2%
    Liquid Germall Plus .5%

Thank you for your thoughts :-)
    lotionmaker replied 6 years, 9 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • NoHypeCosmetics

June 10, 2017 at 3:47 am

BTMS50. Steer clear of e -wax nf it separates in matter of days. Make sure to agitate for 30 min highest speed possible.

• heathergrace

June 10, 2017 at 3:52 am

Thank you! I appreciate your response. I use E-wax along with Stearic Acid in my lotion formula and it works great. My thoughts were, that combo would be too heavy for a formula that goes under the eye area.

• johnb

June 10, 2017 at 6:53 am

- - - and the remaining 20.3% is?

• microformulation

June 10, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Emulsifying Wax (EWax) is an emulsifier that many beginners will start with and can make stable emlusions. The issue with it is that it is often perceived as heavy and will exhibit drag or “soaping.” To best visualize the issue, think of running a crayon over your skin. It can be overcome. HOWEVER, there are numerous superior emulsifiers out there. It is very uncommon to see EWax in mainstream commercial products. As you grow as a Formulator you will get the chance to try numerous superior emulsifiers.

• markbroussard

June 10, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Either Olivem 1000 or RitaMulse would give you a nice, light emulsion for an eye cream formulation.

• drbobverdient-biz

June 10, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Looks like a nice set-up for Simugel INS 100 INCI  Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer (and) Isohexadecane (and) Polysorbate 60

Add to either oil or water phase-cold process-you also add at end and adjust viscosity as desired.

• microformulation

June 10, 2017 at 5:48 pm

I love the Seppic brand Taurtrate coploymers. Very easy to use. Unfortunately in today’s market of “natural” they get some push-back. For sunless tanners (I do a lot of those), they are my go-to system.

Olivem 1000 takes a light, experienced touch to make a good eye cream. Too many lines just raise the viscosity by maxing out the Olivem. This gives a great deal of soaping, much like Ewax. However, when paired with a viscosity builder and the right emollients, it is definitely an option.

• drbobverdient-biz

June 10, 2017 at 6:37 pm

We also have to careful of surfactant/emulsifier (and other ingredients) around the eyes, as too aggressive SAA can lead to mild/moderate conjuntival effects which soaping/foaming is an indication of. Polysorbates (such as P-60) mitigate any potential irritation.Even addition of 1-2% more Polysorbate in the oil phase can only help the latter.

• heathergrace

June 10, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Thank you all!

• markbroussard

June 12, 2017 at 1:37 am

I like to pair Olivem 1000 (4%) with RitaMulse (4%) and add Isoamyl Laureate … it give a nice, light emulsion with excellent spread.

• lotionmaker

June 17, 2017 at 10:01 am

Thank you for Microformulation.  It was not just me then.  I also found olivem gives a lot of soaping and too thick and rich.