Emulsified Body Scrub with a Gummy Texture

Hello everyone on this lovely forum,

I would like to copy a store-bought emulsified sugar scrub with the following ingredients:

Sucrose- sugar

Glycerin- humectant

Propylene Glycol-weak moisturiser 

Polysorbate 20-emulsifier (technically a solubilizer). Used as a liquid emulsifier for perfumes and essential oils.

Water (Aqua)-solvent

Fragrance

Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer- a gelling agent that thickens, emulsifies, and stabilizes products and solutions. 

Squalane-moisturizer

Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil

Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil

Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Sheel Powder

Cocos Nucifera (Coconut)

Gardenia Tahitensis Flower

Polysorbate 60-an oil-in water emulsifier/solubiliser

Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil

Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Shell Powder

Titanium Dioxide-colourant

I have two questions about this body scrub:

1. In particular I am interested in re-creating the almost gummy/gooey texture of this body scrub but first want to know which ingredient/s is this down to? I am guessing the copolymer gelling agent. Just a guess as it seems the only viable answer.
  2. Why are both polysorbate 60 and polysorbate 20 used? 

Many thanks.

Comments

• Hello
    HydroxyethylAcrylate/SodiumAcryloyldimethylTaurate Copolymer(and) squalane (and) polysorbate 60   = simulgen NS

• Hi all,

I am re-visiting this body scrub again after doing some more research. I am unable to obtain simulgen NS in the UK. Can anyone suggest any other suitable polymers for this purpose? The body scrub in questions has a gummy/gooey texture that I am looking to replicate.
  • it's called Simulgel NS, and it's sold by Seppic; I work for a UK-based firm, and we've never had any problems getting it from them
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • Thank you very much Bill_Toge. 

If it helps anyone here is the link:

https://www.seppic.com/simulgel-ns

• For the sake of knowledge and as a second option could I use any polymer to give me this gummy texture I am after?