Emulsified Body Scrub with a Gummy Texture — Cosmetic Science Talk

Emulsified Body Scrub with a Gummy Texture

Hello everyone on this lovely forum,

I would like to copy a store-bought emulsified sugar scrub with the following ingredients:

Sucrose- sugar

Glycerin- humectant

Propylene Glycol-weak moisturiser 

Polysorbate 20-emulsifier (technically a solubilizer). Used as a liquid emulsifier for perfumes and essential oils.

Water (Aqua)-solvent

Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer- a gelling agent that thickens, emulsifies, and stabilizes products and solutions. 

Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil

Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil

Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Sheel Powder

Cocos Nucifera (Coconut)

Gardenia Tahitensis Flower

Polysorbate 60-an oil-in water emulsifier/solubiliser

Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil

Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Shell Powder

Titanium Dioxide-colourant

I have two questions about this body scrub:

1. In particular I am interested in re-creating the almost gummy/gooey texture of this body scrub but first want to know which ingredient/s is this down to? I am guessing the copolymer gelling agent. Just a guess as it seems the only viable answer.
  2. Why are both polysorbate 60 and polysorbate 20 used? 

Many thanks.

• Hello
    HydroxyethylAcrylate/SodiumAcryloyldimethylTaurate Copolymer(and) squalane (and) polysorbate 60   = simulgen NS

• Hi all,

I am re-visiting this body scrub again after doing some more research. I am unable to obtain simulgen NS in the UK. Can anyone suggest any other suitable polymers for this purpose? The body scrub in questions has a gummy/gooey texture that I am looking to replicate.
  • it's called Simulgel NS, and it's sold by Seppic; I work for a UK-based firm, and we've never had any problems getting it from them
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • Thank you very much Bill_Toge. 

If it helps anyone here is the link:

• For the sake of knowledge and as a second option could I use any polymer to give me this gummy texture I am after?