Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Mask for bleached hair

• Mask for bleached hair

Posted by Silvie on May 22, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is not the forum for this kind of questions.
    I would like to make you this questions because honestly, I think that better than a chemist (and specifically a cosmetic chemist) no one is going to explain me what I want to know.

I would like to discolor (bleach) my dark hair for later dye it with another lighter color (balayage) (I’m going to a hairdresser, I am not going to do it myself.)

I am currently using this mask after washing my hair:
    Aqua (Water), stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, behentrimonium chloride, cyclopentasiloxane, olea europaea fruit oil, phenyl trimeticone, peg-12 dimethicone, parfum (fragance), dimethiconol, magnesium nitrate, citric acid, methylchloroisothiazolinone, isopropyl alcohol, methylisothiazolinone, limonene, linalool.

I like the way my hair feels with it, and I also like its price because it is very cheap.
    I am going to swim 3 times in a week and I wash it often, and I have a long, hard and healthy hair, a little dry and I think this mask is good for it.

I have seen that the same brand has this other special for dyed hair, (this one is very cheap too):
    Aqua (Water), stearyl alcohol, octocrylene, cetyl alcohol, behentrimonium chloride, cyclopentasiloxane, parfum (fragance), allium cepa bulb extract, peg-12 dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone, dimethiconol, glycerin, dmdm hydantoin, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, citric acid, isopropyl alcohol.

Please, my questions are:

do you think this two cheap masks are ok when I dye my hair?
    do you think i need another better than that?
    what is/are the ingredients my new hair mask must have to make my dyed hair feel soft/good?
    do you think i need something more than a mask for this purpose?

I have been talking about all this with my hairdresser; she recommends me a lot of things she is selling in her hairdressing and i think she does not really know why they are better than another.
    Honestly, your answer will help me a lot, because if I’m going to need expensive things for this purpose, I will surely give up my idea.

Thank you very much for reading me, and sorry if this is not the place to ask this.
    Greetings.
    Sylvie.

ElenaZaharevich replied 6 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • oldperry

May 24, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for the question.

1.  Yes, the two cheap masks are ok for dyed hair.  They look like pretty much standard rinse-out conditioners.

2.  It might be better to use a formula that contains Dimethicone which will stay in the hair better and protect it more. But this isn’t crucial.

3.  The ingredients in that formula should already make hair feel good.  Dimethicone would be a good choice too.

4.  Any good rinse-out conditioner will work.

5.  The stuff that your hairdresser sells is probably not better. In fact, you would be hard-pressed to find a formula that performs better on hair than Pantene.

You definitely don’t need expensive products to treat your hair.

• Silvie

May 26, 2017 at 8:42 am

Hello, thank you very much for your answer. Your comment has been a great help to me.  I also appreciate for your advice on dimethicone, I will keep it in mind and I will look for a product with it in its formulation.

Greetings
    ƸӜƷ

• antmagn

September 14, 2017 at 8:56 am

will the addition of oils or butters help moisturize hair? 

• ElenaZaharevich

October 31, 2017 at 8:54 am

Try to use some oil for hair after discolor and products with proteins ( wheat, soy, oat and others) - it real good for damaged hair (believe me, after discolor your hair will be not good at real). It help me, I have brown hair, but now I’m blond, and it challenge for my beauty routine everyday )