Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Stability of Oil Based Cream

• Stability of Oil Based Cream

Posted by Shujah on May 4, 2017 at 7:57 am

Hello All

I am facing problem with oil based cream. The problem is that after some time if it is stored under stability or higher temperature at 40degree oil appears on the surface of the cream in the form of droplets The ingredients of the cream is as follows

Ozokerite Wax
    Ceresin Wax
    Palmitic Acid
    Petroleum Jelly
    Mineral Oil
    Zinc Oxide
    Titanium Dioxide
    Octadecenedioic Acid
    Kojic Acid Dipalmitate
    Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate
    Tocopheryl Acetate

johnb replied 6 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • johnb

May 4, 2017 at 8:16 am

The list offered is more akin to a waterfree ointment than a cream and these quite often separate in the way you describe.

It may improve if you include a wax with better structure forming properties to replace part or all of the waxes you are already using. The materials I have in mind are carnauba wax, candelilla wax, hydrogenated castor oil (castor wax).

• Shujah

May 5, 2017 at 4:04 am

Thanks john. Kindly tell me what quantity should i use of hydrogenated castor oil in the formula?

• johnb

May 5, 2017 at 7:03 am

This is something I cannot tell you. There are so many variables that it requires of experimental work to optimise.

From where does the mixture originate? Is it your own recipe?

As a starter, reduce the amount of ozokerite and ceresin (why use both of these? they are very similar in constitution) and replace with HCO or one of the other materials I mentioned.

Beeswax is another material which may be useful as a stabiliser.

• Shujah

May 5, 2017 at 7:34 am

By adding Ceresin makes the formula a little soft as compared to ozokerite wax it makes the cream harder but using both helps the cream to remain stable at high temperature as the temperature in most areas on pakistan is lot higher 

• johnb

May 5, 2017 at 7:57 am

OK, I accept that but it does not help with the current problem. Replacing all or part of the ozokerite and ceresin with a wax of the type I suggested is the first step to improving the syneresis that you are experiencing.

• markbroussard

May 5, 2017 at 9:12 am

Why not include water and perhaps use an Emulsifying Wax comprised of Carnauba Wax, Lecithin, Candellila Wax to supplement the Palmitic Acid.

• Shujah

May 13, 2017 at 6:31 am

Can i use castor oil in the foumula to help eliminates secretion of oil?

• johnb

May 13, 2017 at 6:53 am

You could use castor oil in the formula but I doubt very much that is would affect the secretion of sebum.

Your latest query is very much removed from your original question re syneresis.