Colour Stabilizer - Cosmetic Science Talk

Colour Stabilizer

I face problem with Colour stability in Hair Shampoo and Body wash

pH of the final product is pH5 - pH7

I've been using
Trade Name:  Cibafast H Liquid
INCI Name:    Sodium Benzotriazolul Butylphenol Sulfonate, Buteth-3,                          Tributyl Citrate*
Percentage:   0.04%

at this moment..only Purple colour starts to fade and the other colour still remain as day 1

I am using Food Powder Colouring in the formulation and previously I am using Benzophenone 4 as the Colour stabiliser but it is worse than using Cibafast H Liquid as Colour stabilizer. The short wavelength colour fade easily within 48 hours.

can anyone guide me with better solutions?

Comments

• which dyes are you using, exactly? 

also, is the water in the product chlorinated? (excessive chlorination can cause rapid colour fade)
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • Sir

I am using 0.001% of Brilliant Blue and 0.003% Carmoisine

Our facilities Water source treated, and we have Reversed Osmosis Water and Deionized Water. For formulation mentioned above, I am using Deionized Water

• I have

1 sample expose with lighting in Display Cabinet
    1 sample keep indoor on my office table
    1 sample stored in uncontrolled temperature (which can exceed maximum 50 degree Celcius)

only indoor sample remain the original colour while the rest fade
  • Addition of sunscreen agents will help you for colour stability

• I have had a similar issue and eventually had to change the red dye. No other way, can delay but cant prevent. 
  • UV filter will help with light but heat implies hydrolytic instability.I would just change the colorant.
  • Thank You all

I will change the colorant and find the most convenience uv stabilizer to delay the color change.

• You can try the Oxynex ST Liquid from Merck. It works better than benzophenone.

• thanks @georgiax   ;)

will contact the sales person for sample