• Pet related product

Posted by nabz87 on April 13, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Hello,
    This may not be the best forum for this but during our research we came across it so thought it’s worth a try.

We are looking to manufacture a pet bathing related product and wanted to see if anyone on this forum has those expertise. 

We would like it to be a high quality product which is made in usa and it needs to be natural with mininum chances of any irritation or issues with the pets. Even better if it’s organic and no contains no chemicals. 

Even if we can get the formulation, we can find a manufacturer ourselves. 

Please let me know if you or anyone you know could be of help.

Thankyou

Anonymous replied 6 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • johnb

April 13, 2017 at 2:33 pm

organic and no contains no chemicals.

Dead before it starts.

All materials are composed of “chemicals”. I’m afraid with a philosophy like that you will get absolutely nowhere. Even water is a chemical. Look at this http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

• drbobverdient-biz

April 13, 2017 at 3:09 pm

I know what you mean and is needed.You can contact us via website submission for more if interested.

• bobzchemist

April 13, 2017 at 3:18 pm

We make pet care products here at Beaumont Products, and we will do private label on occasion. We don’t do custom formulation, though.

Be aware that a certified organic formula will double or triple the cost of a “natural” formula, which will itself be significantly more expensive than a regular formula.

But “contains no chemicals”? The only way to do that is to sell an empty bottle.

• microformulation

April 13, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Even an empty bottle would contain Nitrogen, Oxygen, CO2 and all other sorts of “chemicals.” What they need is to private label my “Chemical Free Vacuum Beauty Serum.” The packaging is expensive since it is a Dewar Jar evacuated to an almost perfect vacuum. Unfortunately, it has a short shelf life. Once you open it, it degrades in nanoseconds.

• nabz87

April 14, 2017 at 1:13 am

@johnb

I appreciate your comment. 
    When i posted my request on this forum called “chemistscorner” I would imagine people here are very professional/experts and are used to addressing requests like mine. Only difference was that I am looking for someone who specializes in Pet industry vs Humans. 

I understand the chemistry and how nothing is chemical free but for a consumer when they refer to chemicals, they mean “harmful chemicals” and they mean “minimum chemicals” and products that are made with least amount of “chemical modifications” and only use chemicals that are in their natural state, as much as possible. I hope that clarifies that statement. 

Thanks

• nabz87

April 14, 2017 at 1:14 am

@DRBOB@VERDIENT.BIZ

What is your website? verdient.biz is not working. 

Thanks

• nabz87

April 14, 2017 at 1:19 am

@Bobzchemist

Thanks for your comment. I addressed this above. By no chemicals, I mean a product will least amount of chemicals, chemicals that are least harmful and not that much modified. 

We are in research phase right now and trying to find the best partner for our needs. You are probably right about the organic formulation being expensive. We still wanted to explore that option and make sure the product is as safe as possible for the pets. If that could be achieved with using just natural formulas and not “organic”, we will be ok with that route as well.

What is your website and how can I look at your existing line of products? Although what I need would require a new simple formulation and manufacturing. 

Thanks

• nabz87

April 14, 2017 at 1:20 am

@Microformulation
    Appreciate your sarcasm :)

Please read my comments above, it would address this concern.

Thanks

• microformulation

April 14, 2017 at 1:49 am

Resist the instinct to even use the term Chemical free. Firstly, at marketing seminars I have attended, experts say that it is actually more damaging to your marketing since it will lose you credibility. Most educated consumers understand the logical fallacy. Also, we are Scientists at heart. You can’t co-opt a word and give it new meaning. Scientific terms are clearly defined and fixed.

My clients generally use a more refined approach which has been HUGELY successful. Say something like “XYZ Petcare Products uses plant-based materials that are minimally processed to produce high quality, safe and effective products.” There may be little need for it in a pet care market, but some clients will add that they specifically avoid some of the materials with an established marketing liability such as parabens, formaldehyde donors, etc.

I have done a significant amount of work in the pet care market of late and I want to touch on something that Bob Zonis mentioned. An “Organic” product will be significantly more expensive. One recurring theme in the pet care market is a very tight price range. In general, pet owners are NOT buying more expensive products but rather sticking to a very narrow price range. In mainstream products, there is a potential to market a “prestige” product, but sadly there really isn’t a parallel in the pet care market. I am sure others will agree. As such, the majority of pet care products sold are sulfate based products or alternatively saponified soaps.

With a statement that you are suing plant-based materials minimally processed (most natural standards define the allowable processes), you may have better luck.

Again. this is a Science based board, so your co-opted definition of what a chemical is really doesn’t cut it. Sorry.

• bobzchemist

April 14, 2017 at 2:51 am
  • drbobverdient-biz

April 14, 2017 at 3:48 am

# nabz87  try this link http://www.verdient.biz  

• nabz87

April 14, 2017 at 3:04 pm

@Microformulation
    Appreciate your response and sharing your expert opinion. 
    For a startup like ours, these are learning opportunities and good lessons.

For everyone, thanks for providing the contact information. I will be reaching out to you guys.

Thank you!

• oldperry

April 14, 2017 at 3:21 pm

@nabz87 - Your clarification of what you mean by chemical free doesn’t really clarify things because terms like “minimum chemicals” and least “chemical modifications” and in their “natural state” doesn’t really reflect what I think you mean.

Chemicals in their “natural state” are usually contaminated and have to be purified. In fact, an ingredient like Zinc Oxide can be found in nature but only the synthetic version is allowed for use in manufacture. That’s because the natural version is contaminated with heavy metals.

And the term “harmful chemicals” doesn’t clarify things much.  All chemicals are harmful (enough water can kill you). And many chemicals that have a reputation of being harmful (e.g. propylene glycol) are not more harmful than water.

You have to be more specific about what you mean.  I suspect you mean is “chemicals that consumers perceive as harmful”.  Without knowing what your consumers believe, it would be difficult to give you any advice on what ingredients to use.  

What specific chemicals do your consumers want to avoid?

• microformulation

April 14, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Glad to hear it! I work with a lot of start-ups as well as my Commercial accounts. Generally, the initial consult starts out with “I want it natural.” I counter with “What do you mean by natural?” At this point, they react as if I am touched in the head and I have to explain that there is no established legal definition, at least yet.

Here the first step is to craft at least an internal definition. Get away from the blogs and DIY sites. Perry did a great introductory article here. The article is a few years old and the market is continually evolving.

If you do not define this standard in advance there are various pitfalls. Less commonly you will be too lax and you will make a product that is not naturally derived and this is called “greenwashing.” Lately, this has been dangerous as the FTC and Attorneys have started confronting these products. More likely you will be so restrictive and you will limit the performance of your product and/or increase the final retail price. REMEMBER, a good product in this market is like a 3 legged stool with a leg for natural compliance, one for performance and one for the price. As this market has evolved, the clientele has accepted less and less “wobble” in your stool, as in a balance of natural, price and efficacy.

Lastly. avoid the bloggers to some extent and try not to let unqualified blogs with limited reach direct your development. Almost every Formulator in this forum can relay a story where a product was accepted, raw materials and packaging was ordered and labels were printed. We then get that call “Mommy Blogger 123, who has no Chemistry background, says we can’t use raw material x.” It is a nightmare!

• Anonymous

May 22, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Hello.
    I formulated 18 of the pet shampoos, conditioners and treatment products for Kelco/Kim Laube Products, which are sold internationally and on Amazon.com. I can formulate any type of product which you have in mind. However, I no longer have manufacturing capability, but there are many contract packagers, of which I was one.

David (chemist)