Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Color and makeup Amount of makeup for a daily use

Tagged: 

• Amount of makeup for a daily use

Posted by Anonymous on April 10, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Hello everyone,
    I would like to know if there are some figures or statistics or estimations on the quantity of makeup a user need for one application.
    For example, when a person applies a foundation or a face powder, how much product (in grams or milimeters) it requires for one application? Can we get this type of information ? Thank you very much for your help!

bobzchemist replied 6 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Anonymous

April 10, 2017 at 9:53 pm

mililiter sorry*

• oldperry

April 10, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Data like that isn’t really easily available. 

Here is an analysis of the amount of lipstick.
    http://thebeautybrains.com/2014/10/is-lead-in-lipstick-dangerous-the-beauty-brains-show-episode-54/

You might also look at the CIR and how they evaluate raw materials.
    http://www.cir-safety.org/ingredients

• bobzchemist

April 11, 2017 at 12:56 am

Honestly, it depends strongly on the specific formulation, the applicator, and the person applying it. I know that when I worked for Lauder we’d test this for all new formulas, mostly to make sure that we weren’t selling a year’s supply of makeup in a single bottle.  I also know that Estee Lauder considered this proprietary information at the time, and I’m pretty sure that hasn’t changed, so I don’t feel that I can release the info that I remember. I’d bet that almost all other makeup companies have the same policy. If you need this info, you’re probably going to have to determine it yourself.

I can, however, tell you that this info was usually determined by having a few people apply each formulation normally for ten times each, then we took an average to get to the usage rate. Sometimes, we’d do a full-blown home usage test instead, and give a new formula to employees to take home and use until it was finished, then report back.

• Anonymous

April 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm

@Perry
    Thank you for the links. I know it is hard to find pieces of information on such experimentation. That’s why I am asking to you guys. Thanks again!

• Anonymous

April 11, 2017 at 4:05 pm

@Bobzchemist
    Thanks for your idea ! Making my own experimentation on several people could be a good way to determine the quantity it requires.
    I totally understand that companies keep their info for themselves.
    Assuming I use a compact powder eyeshadow with a standard brush. For one picking of eyeshadow, is it impossible to determine how many grams are stuck on the brush?

• bobzchemist

April 11, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Only with a really accurate lab balance with 2 or 3-place precision. The amount is going to be substantially less than 1 gram. 1 gram of eyeshadow goes a long, long way when spread on skin. That’s why we used ten times as a method - just one time wouldn’t use up an easily measured amount of product.

• bobzchemist

April 11, 2017 at 4:29 pm

You can check this mathematically, at least sort of. Let’s look at Nyx eyeshadow, for example. A Nyx round eyeshadow has a net weight of 1.5 grams. We’ll assume that Nyx wants a 3-month use rate. So, someone using the eyeshadow twice a day every day will have to have at least 2x30x3 = 180 usages. 1.5 grams divided by 180 usages is about 0.008 grams per use. See why I said you’d need a 3-place balance?