Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Color and makeup Propylene carbonate

• Propylene carbonate

Posted by Anonymous on April 7, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Hi 

Can anyone recommend a supplier of propylene carbonate who sells in small batches?

I want to add this ingredient to my matte liquid lipstick formula to see if to resolves some of the issues I am having. My formula uses dist. hectorite.

Also, are there any alternatives to this ingredient?

Best wishes,

Daria

CANDIDO replied 1 year ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • bobzchemist

April 8, 2017 at 12:12 am

Wow.

You really need to understand the chemistry of your ingredients before you go around throwing chemicals into a formula just to see what happens.

For example, what is “dist. hectorite”?

Or even, why is a very polar ingredient like propylene carbonate, which is completely incompatible with lipstick ingredients, being added to lipsticks, and how is it being kept stable?

• markbroussard

April 9, 2017 at 12:31 am

Your best bet is to just use one of the Bentone Gels from Elementis Specialties which are dispersions of hectorite and propylene carbonate in a variety of solvents:  For instance, Cyclopentsiloxane, Stearalkonium Rectorate & Propylene Carbonate is one of their products.

• johnb

April 9, 2017 at 6:53 am

I believe the enquirer is working from an INCI LOI where stearalkonium hectorite and propylene carbonate appear as separate components rather than being a preformulated Bentone Gel.

Dariawes, what issues are you having with your formula? The stearalkonium hectorite/propylene carbonate combination (+ most likely another oil) act as pigment suspending agents.

• markbroussard

April 9, 2017 at 11:15 am

@dariawes:

Why don’t you list your formula and then it will be much easier to give you advice to directly address your issue.

• CANDIDO

March 26, 2023 at 4:26 pm

Hi friends,

I also need some help formulating a propylene carbonate gel

Thanks