Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Ammonia Odor-Xanthum Gum

• Ammonia Odor-Xanthum Gum

Posted by ebo51m2003 on March 29, 2017 at 9:23 pm

1. Which of the following ingredients might react with Xanthum Gum and give off an ammonia like odor? 

Aqua, Sodium Silicate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, CI 77491, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hyaluronic Acid, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethylaminoethanol Tartrate , Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Xanthan Gum, Pichia/Resveratrol Ferment Extract , Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate.

2. Any suggestions on how to prevent the reaction?

johnb replied 7 years ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • belassi

March 29, 2017 at 9:26 pm

None of them, actually. There’s no NH- radicals in there. Why do you think the gum is reacting?

• ebo51m2003

March 29, 2017 at 10:09 pm

My client states that it’s not until he adds the xanthum gum to the formula that an ammonia odor develops.

• bill_toge

March 29, 2017 at 11:24 pm

what’s the final pH, and the method of manufacture?

my hunch is that it’s most likely the dimethylaminoethanol tartrate, since it’s the only amine in the formula

also, I might add that sodium silicate is classified as corrosive to the skin, and unless it’s formulated at neutral or acidic pH it is extremely problematic in terms of safety

• drbobverdient-biz

March 30, 2017 at 12:07 am

What about when you do it as there is no obvious reaction 

• johnb

March 30, 2017 at 7:48 am

Almost certainly the DEANOL tartrate decmposing under the alkaline conditions formed by the sodium silicate. DEANOL free base has a very strong ammoniacal odour. I very much doubt is has anything to do with the xanthan (note spelling) gum.

I’m assuming the product under discussion is a (temporary) wrinkle remover. If it is, be very careful in formulating to avoid adverse reactions from the silicate - which is available in a number of grades, some of which are VERY alkaline (sodium metasilicate and, more so, sodium orthosilicate). A fairly pH neutral grade sold as “water glass” is nearer to the grade needed although this is not stated in the Kligmann Patent for this product.

Personally, I would avoid this product.