Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating adding synthetic vitamins to botanical products

• adding synthetic vitamins to botanical products

Posted by Izalew73 on March 24, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Hi guys,
    I am wondering if addition of Tetrahexyldecyl Acorbate and Tocopherol to facial oil serum will increase the effectiveness of the product while the oils used there, are already high in vit c and other antioxidants. Rosehip, cranberry, seabuckthorn, acai oils and many others. I know that adding Tocopherol will prevent the oils from the rancidity of oils but will do anything to the skin?

belassi replied 7 years ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • johnb

March 24, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Ascorbic acid is not soluble in oil so the ones you have listed will not contain the material - however much marketing hype tries to convince you otherwise.

Tocopherols (if present) will be only in extremely small amounts.

Whether Tetrahexyldecyl Acorbate and/or Tocopherol have any effect at all in a cosmetic product is a matter of conjecture (and, again, the convincing nature of marketing hype).

I do try not to be cynical in cosmetic matters but sometimes the claims made for the activity of vogue molecules, extracts, snake oils and fairy dust are way, way beyond being reasonable.

• Izalew73

March 24, 2017 at 5:06 pm

I  am not using Ascorbic acid, Tetrahexyldecyl Acorbate is  oil-soluble Vitamin C.
    I wrote this post asking for advice if adding those vitamins will increase effectiveness of the product. 

• bobzchemist

March 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm

The sad reality is that your product (and all products like it) have zero effectivity, except as an occlusive moisturizer. Adding ingredients to “boost” the efficacy is a bit like multiplying by zero - nothing will change.

Ingredients to decrease TEWL, on the other hand, should work well.

• belassi

March 24, 2017 at 7:22 pm

The only way to tell is by running trials with/without.