Making aqueous formulation dry fast on skin..... - Cosmetic Science Talk

Making aqueous formulation dry fast on skin.....

edited March 20 in Formulating

I have made two formulations :  

- a 100% aqueous body spray
- an o/w emulsion based spray lotion (synthetic esters - PPG-15-SE/IPM/OP - as the oil phase).

Both of them have more than 70% of water content with NO alcohol. Now the problem is due to such high water content it is not easily evaporated from skin and runs down too. I tried some surfactants (silicon based and PEG-HCO-40, Polysorbates) but none of them are working here.

I am thinking to use Veegum or Modified/Corn starches but not sure about clogging of spray nozzles due to viscosity increase and their colloidal structure.... :|

Any suggestions and advises please?  :)

Thanks!
Kamal

Comments

• You are asking the impossible. Adding viscosifiers or non-volatiles to a solution will delay evaporation, not increase it.

The only way to increase evaporation rate is to use a more volatile solvent.
  • Oh :o .... then I will try to proceed accordingly. :)
  • Why don't you try an aerosol for drying if you are happy with formula the way it is.if it runs add a small amount of rheology modifier for pseudoplasticiity?
  • Hello DrBOB,

You mean instead of normal pump spray if I opt for propellant based aerosol type delivery then this may help in drying fast on skin? However in this case I am wondering how I would take trials on a small scale in a lab with propellant gases and cans....! 

What rheology modifier you would suggest here? 

Can you give any sample formula/recipe idea relevant to this case? 
  • Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."

• This seems to be a very good option but unfortunately I am not in USA, I can't source such Sprayer in my country.... :'(

Still will try.....