Solubizing (or emulsifying) Eucaplytpus OIl and Menthol - Cosmetic Science Talk

Solubizing (or emulsifying) Eucaplytpus OIl and Menthol

Hi Everyone,

I am stumped.  I am trying to reformulate a current bath soak that conatins 5% Eucalyptus 0.5% Menthol.  It is currently solubilized by PEG 40 hydogenated castor oil; however we want to replace the PEGS  I have tried many products from Seppic and Evonik with the same result; separation.  It doesn't have to be a clear system, just the ability to hold 5% Eucaplytus and 0.5% Menthol.  Has anyone had a similar challenge?  Any ideas  much appreciated :>

Comments

• I don't think it's going to be possible and still have it function as a bath soak.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • PEGs helped enormously with that particular problem. I agree 100% with Bob.
    Special interests: anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; sulphate-free shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics.
  • Have you tried a glycol (e.g dipropylene glycol)/surfactant blend.

As a surfactant, possibly an amine oxide, a betaine or one of the more recent glucoside or amino acid derived surfactants.

This is only my thoughts - I've not tried it in practice, but 5% eucalyptus, 0.5% menthol, 60% dipropylene glycol, the remainder made up with the surfactant.
  • Hi Guys, 
    Thanks very much for your thoughts and suggestions.  I wanted to stay clear of DPG /surfactant bucause it's a banned solvent in this company; interesting though.  I finally got Polysorbate 20 to hold those amounts and it looks good.  Not my first choice, but it works.  Thanks.
  • I don't understand. If you require to replace PEGs why are you happy with polysorbate 20?
  • We have made similar systems using combination of Ultrez 10 and xanthan gum in a 70:30 ratio and omitted eo adducts such as polysorbate 20.
  • You can try some SD alcohol