Is Caprylic Capric Triglycerides not compatible with iso propyl myristate? - Cosmetic Science Talk

Is Caprylic Capric Triglycerides not compatible with iso propyl myristate?

Is Caprylic Capric Triglycerides not compatible with iso propyl myristate?

Comments

• In what way do you mean - physically or chemically?

There is no chemical incompatibility and as for physical compatibility, test that for yourself by mixing the two materials together
  • @johnb
    I made a cream with IPM it has becom good but when i had made a cream with combination of cctg and ipm it has separated
  • I doubt it's incompatibility between those two materials but a problem with the formula you are using.
  • @johnb
    Oil Phase contain Stearic acid, Cetyl alcohol, IPM, CCTG, GMS, Kojic dipalmitate & LLP
  • HLB value required for CCTG is 5 and for IPM is 11.5.Is there any problem?
  • And the emulsifier is?
  • @johnb
    Emulsifier is Polyacrylamide & C13-14 Isoparaffin & Laureth-7. 

• It is cold preocess emulsifier so we added it in last stage.
  • I am not familiar with Sepigel 305 but, from what I have read, it is best mixed with the oil phase when forming the emulsion.
  • @Shubh123 the HLB value you've quoted for caprylic/capric triglycerides is for a W/O emulsion - the figure for O/W is closer to 12
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • @johnb
    ok. I will mix it in oil Phase.
  • @Bill_Toge
    Thnx! I am prepairing o/w emulsion based cream
  • @Bill_Toge
    Still getting problem.
    Firstly the emulsion is prepapred after few mintues it breaks. Water is separated.
    Water Phase is
    Water
    Microcrystalline Cellulose and xanthum gum-1%
    Glycerine-2%
    EDTA-0.1%
    Oil Phase is
    LLP-3%
    IPM-5
    KAD-4
    SILISILY-2
    CETYL ALCOHOL-1.5
    stearic acid-3
    Gms-3
    coated TiO2-1
  • I don't get what is Silysily, secondly why the coated pigment here. Third I still feel an acute need of a proper emulsifier here, have you read the compatibility and incompatibility of KAD with your formula ingredients. 
  • @Chemist77
    Sorry, Silysily is Hydrogenated Polyisobutane. I enter trade name by mistake.. Coated pigment for whitening. I remove KAD but still the emulsion is breaking. What u suggest?What should i do?
  • the fact there's no high HLB emulsifier will be a major contributor to instability; try adding ceteareth-20 or an anionic emulsifier
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • @Bill_Toge
    I am using anionic cold process emulsifier Polyacrylamide & C13-1Isoparaffin & Laureth. i am adding it in last stage. I tried this emulsifier in oil phase but still not satisfied.

• @Bill_Toge
    I reach at new stage that after breaking emulsion if i mixed it for 45min. it again form a good emulsion. How is it possible?
  • You mentioned Polyacrylamide & C13-14 Isoparaffin & Laureth-7 earlier. This does not appear in your later postings.

As Bill points out, there is no emulsifier present. The Polyacrylamide & C13-14 Isoparaffin & Laureth-7 is not an effective emulsifier alone - even it is actually present. It is described by the manufacturer as "Sepigel 305 is a thickening, stabilizing, liquid, ready-to-use polymer."

• @johnb
    sorry Si! I forgot to mention. i tried Polyacrylamide & C13-1Isoparaffin & Laureth-7 in oil phase as u say but still getting same result. But now i mixed that emulsion for 45min again the emulsion is formed
  • You seem to be ignoring the absence of an emulsifier.
  • @johnb
    Which emulsifier should i use?
  • It is rather late in the progression of this saga to be asking which emulsifier should be used. That ought have been one of the priorities when you first began thinking about the product.

I can't really give any recommendations about a choice of emulsifier as I don't know enough about your aims or about what is available to you. Also, I would not have produced a formulation like the one you are querying so it is "out of my comfort zone".
  • The problem is with microcrystalline cellulose and xanthum gum. 
  • Microcrystalline cellulose is not suitable for hot process
  • I don't understand your process. GMS and Stearic Acid and Cetyl Alcohol are all solids at room temperature. How are you possibly getting them into an emulsion at room temperature?

Honestly, I think you need to start over from scratch. On top of all the other problems with your formula, there's not a good suspending agent in there for the TiO2.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • edited March 25
    @Bobzchemist
    1.  I am not getting them at room temperature.I am heating them at temperature upto 75 to 80. because KAD is dissolve at temperature of 80 degree.

2. yes, i think there is problem in my formula. As i said yesterday, that the emulsion is prepared but today i see a small flakes are see on the surface of cream. I remove Tio2 and microcrystalline cellulose. I think it is due to recrstallization of KAD? What should i do to avoid this.
  • My new formula is
    A
    Water-71.2
    EDTA-0.3
    B
    LLP-3
    IPM-5
    Dimethicone-2
    Hydrogenated polyisobutane-2
    Cetyl Alcohol-2.5
    Stearic acid-4
    GMS-4
    KAD-4
    C
    Polyacrylamide & C13-1Isoparaffin & Laureth7 - 2
  • - - and even after all of this discussion I don't see an effective emulsifier present.
  • @johnb
    Sorry again! I am adding Acrylamide / Sodium Acrylate Copolymer, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Trideceth-6 as a emulsifier.
  • I don't think that is a good enough emulsifier for the formula stated.

I agree with Bobzchemist that the whole thing needs a careful re-evaluation.

• The literature for Cosmedia ATC (which corresponds to the mixture you quoted) states that:
    The prime function is as a rheological control additive for applications within the toiletries and cosmetics industries.

It is NOT claimed to be an emulsifier.

• @johnb
    Thnx! I am also agree with you and Bobzchemist. I have to change formula.
    What should i do to avoid recrystallization of Kojic acid Dipalmitate?
  • Perhaps when you have an acceptable, stable formulation worked out the solubility problem will disappear.

Have you seen this?

https://www.activeformulas.com/products/kojic-acid-dipalmitate

• @johnb
    Thnx! The link you shared is very helpful.