Water based pomade - Cosmetic Science Talk

Water based pomade

i making pomade based water, When I warm it up  forms dense bubbles and foams. I would like to know if anyone has a tip The foam that is left over the surface.

Comments

• Try vacuuming the air out?
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • a sonicator should also work if you warm to reduce viscosity and leave in overnight. 
  • Not sure how you are doing your mixing.  glass stir?  Stick mixer?  milk frother?

Would need more info on your process. And temps.

• In this case I am using a boiler, when the temperature rises above 50 degrees celsius, the product creates a thick foam. 
  • Still impossible to give you an answer without more details. I've never seen foam when making water based pomade. 
  • Try taking it it to a higher temperature and see if the bubbles subside. 
  • Maybe try altering your variables and parameters.

Are you using constant or variable agitation?  Keep your heat below 50 deg. C (maybe at 40?--see if the foaming still persists?).
  • Do NOT keep heat under 50 c. Oils & waxes are to be heat at 80-85C. 

again without knowing what ingredients you are using it's impossible to help determine what is causing the foaming .
  • @Chemist77  wouldnt heating it more be likely to cause more bubbles?
  • If it is ceteareth-25 based then yes it will. 
  • what about cetereath-20?
  • Try it, have seen it behaving better than 25 ethoxylate. 
  • try adding surfactants slowly beneath the surface and decrease agitation.
  • Hi, I have the same problem even with my sample batches being reduced only to ceteareth-20 at 29% and the rest 71% water, I tried reducing mixing speed to the minimum, what I get is only about half of batch clear.