Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Lipstick Formula - What am I missing?

• Lipstick Formula - What am I missing?

Posted by knoels on March 2, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I am doing my best to make a lipstick. I am putting the product in tiny jars and the product will be applied to the lips with a small brush. Therefore, I am not looking for a liquid lipstick formula. I have tried my best to formulate, but I feel as if I am missing an ingredient. Every time I test it, it is very oily and will not spread. It just forms into oil droplets on the lips.

Here are the ingredients I am using:
    Bentonine Clay
    Pigment
    Glycerin
    Grape Seed Oil
    Isododecane

Or do I possibly have all of my ingredients necessary and I am mixing it incorrectly? Please let me know your thoughts. 

bobzchemist replied 7 years ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • oldperry

March 2, 2017 at 2:33 pm

If you’re making a lipstick you’ll need to have some wax in there like Carnauba wax.  But it seems like you are making a liquid product not a lipstick.  Is there a similar product on the market for comparison?

• knoels

March 2, 2017 at 3:04 pm

@Perry I’m doing my best not to make a liquid lipstick. I would prefer to make more of a waxy product. Similar to tube lipstick, but a bit more malleable.

• bill_toge

March 2, 2017 at 3:08 pm

personally I’d leave glycerine out; it’s not very miscible with oils, and it’s probably the root cause of your problem

• bobzchemist

March 2, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Ummm…if you’re trying to make something similar to a tube  lipstick, why aren’t you starting out with a tube lipstick formula? And where did you get the formula you’re using? It’s not missing just one thing, it’s missing half-a-dozen.

It is actually very difficult to formulate a good, safe lipstick/lipgloss base formula, and the potential for a bad outcome is high - not all cosmetic ingredients are safe for use on the lips. I would very strongly suggest that you start with a pre-made base, like these from Making Cosmetics: http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Makeup-Lipstick-Bases_c_148.html

It could very well save you from a trip to the ER.