Kojic Acid Cream - Cosmetic Science Talk

Kojic Acid Cream

Hello Everyone,
                  I made skin lightening cream using 3% kojic acid, 5 % glycolic acid, 2% MAP.. After two months the colour changes from white to light brown due to kojic acid.. What will i do to avoid this?
Thanks in advanced! :)

Comments

• MAP will discolor at a pH <6. I would wager that this is a large part of your problem.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • @Microformulation
    Thnx Sir! 
      pH of the cream  is 3.5...I will try new formulation with pH around 6 to 6.5.
  • Actually, if you read the documentation they recommend a ph of 7 minimum. Here is the issue. Your other ingredients need a lower pH, hence the reason you may want to reconsider your Formulation.

For example, what benefit do you propose with Glycolic acid at the appropriate pH for MAP? With the Kojic acid? And even more important, would they be stable at a basic pH?
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • @Microformulation
    Thnx sir!
                 before trying new formulation i will read & understand all the documents as you told & then i will make new formulation.
  • edited February 18
    You need to ask; what pH does MAP need? What pH does an AHA (Glycolic acid) work best at? What is the appropriate pH that Kojic acid works best at? Answer those questions and you will see that you need to abandon this combination.

http://www.thecosmeticchemist.com/education/skin_science/glycolic_acid_friend_or_foe.html

• @Microformulation
                 yes sir! Actually i am new in formulating cosmetics.. So i need study the documents first before making formulation for any product and to find the answers of questions you mention..thnx for helping. :)
  • How much amount of kojic acid we can add into cream?

• @Nilam

we can add Maximum 3% kojic acid.
  • Hello. I made a cream with a skin brightener (0.5% Undecylenoyl phenylalanine). I also added 1.5% licorice extract. Can i still add 1% kojic acid to this formula?

• what form is the licorice extract? % acid or is it the salt?
    Design of anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics. In-house label and box design capability.
  • hello. thanks for responding. the licorice is in liquid form and the kojic is in powder/salt form
  • that's not what I asked. I presume you don't know.
    Design of anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics. In-house label and box design capability.
  • You could use Kojic Acid Dipalmitate, it is more stable in terms of Color and also makes it oil-solubke
  • @AlexGokhale
    Thnx! I will try :)
  • kojic acid is unstable and discolor at alkaline pH (recommended pH range 4.5-5.5). I recommend if u insist using MAP, then u should work with kojic acid dipalmitate as it has broader pH range and more stable than kojic acid.