Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Post Color Shampoo

Tagged: , ,

• Post Color Shampoo

Posted by celine13009 on February 1, 2017 at 10:08 am

Hello everybody !

I would like to make a Post Color Shampoo in order to close the scales on the outesurface of each hair just after color application.
    So, I think to make this shampoo to an acidic pH (4.5) with softer surfactants like disodium lauryl sulfosuccinate and cocamidopropyl betaine and coco glucoside. I would like to add a polyquaternium in order to keep color in hair fiber with hydrophobic filmer.

BUT : I would like to formulate a transparent shampoo with viscosity and with this pH it is very difficult. It is not possible with Acrylates copolymer or xanthan gum because of pH … I lost transparancy ..

What do you think about it ? 

ashish replied 7 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • belassi

February 1, 2017 at 3:16 pm

That’s not a job for a shampoo, it’s a job for a conditioner.

• celine13009

February 1, 2017 at 3:31 pm

No I reaaly want to do a shampoo. Because just after color application we have to wash hair with a special acidic shampoo in order to close the scales on the outer surface of each hair. And after we can use a conditionner. But before conditionner there is a shampoo step !

• oldperry

February 1, 2017 at 4:13 pm

You can use Citric Acid, HCl or Phosphoric acid to reduce the pH.

You can use Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride or Polyquaternium-7 for a quat that will stay clear.

• johnb

February 1, 2017 at 4:14 pm

What color process are you using that requires this scale closing acid shampoo?

• celine13009

February 2, 2017 at 1:04 pm

I’m using DEMI PERMANENT COLOR (oxidation color)

• ashish

February 2, 2017 at 1:09 pm

But, after application of hair colour, better to use conditioner to close scale. Due to usage of shampoo, color fades early. 

• ashish

February 2, 2017 at 1:14 pm

With use of Ultrez range from Lubrizol, will give you clarity even at low pH. Lubrizol is having Acrylate crosspolymers which work smartly at low pH also but need very keen attention during processing. 

• celine13009

February 2, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Yes but just after color application, the first step is to wash the hair with a shampoo. So I would like to use an acidic shampoo. 

• celine13009

February 2, 2017 at 1:17 pm

@ashish I’m afraid of hydrolisis with Ultrez …

• ashish

February 3, 2017 at 10:34 am

I think, most of the branded hair colours never instructed to wash with shampoo immediate after application. All are giving conditioner along with colour and developer. 

• ashish

February 3, 2017 at 10:40 am

It is also possible to make shampoo without polymer or xanthan gum, clear grade of guar conditioner also imparts thickening properties. This would be a kind of neutralizing shampoo which would get in Hair relaxer kit.