Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Ketaconazole physical properties

• Ketaconazole physical properties

Posted by belassi on February 1, 2017 at 1:16 am

Has anyone here formulated a shampoo with this? The reason I ask, is that I don’t want to make the same mistake I just made with zinc omadine: being tempted to formulate with an ingredient for which I lack appropriate equipment. 
    Is ketaconazole problematic to formulate? Soluble in water? In surfactant? Requires cold process or not? Special handling precautions?

em88 replied 6 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • belassi

February 1, 2017 at 4:57 am

Judging by ‘long term toxicity to aquatic life’ I think I will forget about this one too. Had to dig through a lot of info.

• johnb

February 1, 2017 at 8:01 am

I think you will find adverse properties in all materials with a claim to biocidal activity.

• beautynerd

February 1, 2017 at 6:51 pm

@johnb - I’m interested to know more about the potential for adverse properties of biocidal ingredients. 

I’ve been looking at asking for a sample of parahydroxycinnamic acid (inci: hydroxycinnamic acid, trade name: exsymol) to include as part of a non-traditional preservative system. It is marketed as a synthetic bactericide identical to that naturally present in aloe. 

• johnb

February 2, 2017 at 8:32 am

I don’t have any specific knowledge regarding potential adverse properties of biocidal ingredients other than realisng that any word ending with the term “-cide” or “-cidal” indicates an adverse affect on the viability of living organisms

On the subject of parahydroxycinnanic acid, please note that Exsymol is the name of the manufacturer/marketer, not the name of the product. Also be aware of the notice on the sheet to which you gave a link:

“PARAHYDROXYCINNAMIC ACID is not a bacteriostatic, and classical preservatives must be incorporated into formulations.”

I don’t know where you are located, EliseCortes, but in most areas, what can and cannot be termed a cosmetic preservative is controlled by law and I am not aware of any legislative locations that include parahydroxycinnanic acid in their list of approved preservative materials.

I found the Wikipedia monograph for parahydroxycinnanic acid interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-Coumaric_acid

• beautynerd

February 2, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Thanks @Johnb 

I’m in Canada. No list of approved preservatives to worry about. Just as long we don’t include anything on the “Cosmetic Ingredient Hotlist” and we do our due diligence to ensure the product is safe, we’re in the clear. 

Was thinking of combining this with vanillin and furaneol (both anti-microbial) with 1,2 hexanediol and pentylene glycol. 

I guess the questions then become: how strong is the coverage, is it enough of a broad spectrum and at the inclusion rate that I would need to use, is it likely to cause irritation. 

Sorry for hijacking your thread @belassi

• johnb

February 2, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Are you sure you want to use these components?

Furaneol has a VERY powerful odour. Vanillin, similarly, has a very powerful odour and it is also prone to discoloration in many situations likely to be found in cosmetic products.

Regarding the antimicrobial properties of paracoumaric acid, I’m not sure. There is a strong structural similarity between that and the parabens and cinnamic acid. Whether that carries over to the paracoumaric acid, I don’t know.

I think you have some testing work to do! :)

• beautynerd

February 3, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Lol…. well noted. 

I should add, ‘At the concentration it needs to be used at, is it likely to make the consumer gag?’ to my list of questions.

I think I will give this a try. Thanks for the feedback!

• johnb

February 4, 2017 at 8:52 am

I think that you will find the odour of vanillin and furaneol overpowering at the concentration required to act as a preservative but also, the odour will prevent any added fragrance from being effective or even noticeable.

I truly believe that you are wasting your time in this.

• em88

June 15, 2017 at 11:11 am

Ketoconaole forms clear shampoos, it is not soluble in water.

• drbobverdient-biz

June 15, 2017 at 3:15 pm

@Belassi ketoconazole is soluble in anionic surfactants commonly used in shampoo ie SLS/SLES and acyl sarcosinates (insoluble in water).Can be thickened with Carbopol 1382 which is a little tricky .Had to use colloid mill in scale-up for homogeneity.Once developed a very stable system-in US  1% is an OTC drug—2% script.

• em88

July 18, 2017 at 6:46 am

And remember to get micronised particles to make the manufacturing process easier.