Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Reverse-INCI

• Reverse-INCI

Posted by belassi on January 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Hi there.
    I use a pearlizer that I buy locally but the supplier seems unwilling to tell me which. But they have at least given me the INCI names of the ingredients, which supposedly are:
    polyethylene glycol stearate
    cocamide DEA
    CAPB

So far, and I have spent quite some time, I can’t identify which commercial product this is. Maybe BASF or Lubrizol.

markbroussard replied 7 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • johnb

January 20, 2017 at 8:01 am

If your supplier is being difficult, go elsewhere. Pearling agents are easy to obtain from a number of manufacturers.

I think also that you have been given wrong information re the nomenclature. I doubt it is polyethylene glycol stearate but ethylene glycol stearate

• markbroussard

January 20, 2017 at 11:38 am

Yes, I did some looking also and I think they are giving you partially accurate information … Is this how they told you to list the ingredients on your label?

I would suspect it is PEG-150 Stearate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine

@Belassi:  Is this product a Liquid?

CYCLORYL® 1023B Cedar Concepts Corporation
    • INCI Name:

Cocamidopropyl Betaine (and) Cocamide DEA (and) Glycol Stearate (and) Sodium Xylenesulfonate

CYCLORYL® 1023B is composed of Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coconut Diethanolamide, Ethylene Glycol Monostearate, and Sodium Xylene Sulfonate. It is supplied as a pearlescent liquid. This product is suitable for use as a cold pearlizingagent.
  • belassi

January 20, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Yes Mark, it is a white liquid added at 3%. It does not depress the foam; on the contrary, it appears to boost the foam somewhat. There’s not a lot of choice in my market, I would like to try Euperlan Green but can’t find a source.

• SoapyGuy

January 20, 2017 at 2:47 pm

I agree with johnb. PEG stearates do not make good pearling agents, but glycol stearate and glycol distearate (correct INCI) do. Basic pearling agents like the one described are plentiful.

• markbroussard

January 20, 2017 at 11:45 pm

@Belassi:

I would contact Cedar Concepts and Stepan … they may well be able to help you as both make similar products.