Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Gel to Reduce acne lesions

Tagged: 

• Gel to Reduce acne lesions

Posted by jeremien on January 13, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Hello, i would like to formulate a gel to be use on
    acneic skin. One of the requirements is that the formula does not contain any
    ionic species. Could anyone help me with a basic formula of a medium viscosity
    gel (without the actives). Thanks

jeremien replied 7 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • johnb

January 13, 2017 at 3:09 pm

What do you classify as an ionic species?

• jeremien

January 13, 2017 at 4:34 pm

ionic surfactant, cationic polymer, salt, peptides

• belassi

January 13, 2017 at 7:20 pm

A gel is typically made with gums, carbomers, or a combination of both. Since carbomers need to be neutralised, that rules them out for you. Best of luck with that.

• johnb

January 14, 2017 at 8:47 am

Will this product contain anything that could be classed as medication?

If so, then your request is outside of the remit of this forum.

• jeremien

January 16, 2017 at 9:45 am

Thanks for your answer Belassi. my product will not be clasified as medication. 100% cosmetic :)

bests

• johnb

January 16, 2017 at 10:01 am

Can you explain a little more about that you want to achieve with this.

What we’re getting so far is a nonionic gel with nothing in it and which doesn’t do anything.

• jeremien

January 16, 2017 at 10:45 am

Dear johnb, 

I’m trying a very innovative ingredient called
    bicosome that is loaded with soft anti-acne ingredients, and i would like to
    test it in a basic formulation like an hydrogel to test efficiency. 

• johnb

January 16, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Hmmm….. Interesting.

Are you one of the Bicosome selected partners (as mentioned several times on their web site)?

Any products for the treatment of disease, which it seems is what you want your bicosome to do, is defined as a drug or medicine.

Strictly, that is beyond the scope of this forum but, in order not to appear churlish, let me suggest hydroxyethylcellulose or hydroxypropylcellulose as a gelling agent of viscosifier. Both are nonionic and readily available.

• bobzchemist

January 16, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Also, several of the pre-made silicone elastomer gels will work essentially as bases for this sort of thing. They aren’t widely used by themselves in the cosmetic industry for this purpose due to the difficulties inherent in stirring and filling viscous materials, but they work really well on a smaller scale.

• jeremien

January 16, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Thanks for your quick answers. Well i’m a bicosome
    partner, but i’m not mention on the website (not important enought).

i just want to encapsulate vitamine B3, so normally
    no problem with regulation, and still remain in the scope of cosmetic products

I understand that  silicone elastomer gels have to be use to give viscosity to an oil. In my case i would avoid use of oil in my formulation, hydroxyethylcellulose sound good choice

• bobzchemist

January 16, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I must strongly recommend against your pursuing this product any further without hiring a consultant who is well-versed in this type of product and the regulations in the country you intend selling it in.

• david

January 16, 2017 at 9:54 pm

All waterbased mixtures (formulas) contain ionic species to some extent, even deionized water. You can only use fats and oils.

• jeremien

January 17, 2017 at 10:41 am

you are right, i mean strong ionic strenght species such as polycations or ionic surfactants.