Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Shampoo strings

• Shampoo strings

Posted by davidsotochimex on January 12, 2017 at 9:57 pm

What’s the best way to remove the stringiness of a shampoo formulation that has water (68%), SLS (14%), SLES(13%), CMEA(3%), propylene glycol (0.05%), pearlizer (3%), preservative, and salt?

ashish replied 7 years, 2 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • belassi

January 12, 2017 at 11:09 pm

It’s the CMEA, too high. Reduce it to 1%. And why propylene glycol???

• chemist77

January 13, 2017 at 5:57 am

In addition to @Belassi comments, I am just curious about that. 05% dosage. Why at all? 

• johnb

January 13, 2017 at 7:45 am

I would replace the SLS with something a bit more gentle.

• davidsotochimex

January 17, 2017 at 4:57 pm

I was using propylene glycol as the humectant. It should read 0.5%. Is that too low? What should it be?

• belassi

January 17, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Have you seen this as an ingredient in shampoos in general? 

• oldperry

January 17, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Since propylene glycol is water soluble it is simply going to wash away when the user rinses their hair. The only reason to add it to the formula is to either as a solvent for some herbal extract or as an ingredient to improve the formula stability.  

• drbobverdient-biz

January 18, 2017 at 1:06 am

HI Problem is salt for viscosity with alkyl sulphates.Change NaCL to Methocel E4 Premium adding enough to get minimum viscosity of 3000cps to keep pearl stable.PG is optional but at that level is not doing anything.Hope this helps!

• ashish

January 19, 2017 at 6:01 am

SLS is more harsher than SLES. One can replace SLS wholly by SLES and pearliser means EGDS or Mica or anything else? If it is EGDS, then it also imparts fatty odour along with CMEA.