Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Silicones

• Silicones

Posted by crisbaysauli on January 3, 2017 at 3:32 am

Happy New Year everyone! Hope you had a wonderful holiday season.

My question may seem very elementary, but I’d really appreciate it if someone validates. What class of compounds are silicones? I mean are they esters? Ethers?

Most silicone-free products use either esters or ethers. So I’m wondering, is silicone not an ester or ether? If it’s not, then what is it?

david replied 7 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • belassi

January 3, 2017 at 4:05 am

They are characterised by repeating Si-O-Si molecules. Dimethicone, which is a silicone oil, is also known as polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) so,  we can see from its name that it has a siloxane group, and attached to that is methane or CH3 in the formula: (C2H6OSi)n where ‘n’ refers to the ‘poly’ part of it.  Cyclopentasiloxane has a ring structure of Si-O-Si with CH3 groups attached all the way around. Technically, I think it’s a polymer?

• bill_toge

January 3, 2017 at 8:20 am

it’s a polysiloxane, i.e. it has a fundamental structure comprising multiple Si-O bonds

the carbon equivalent would be a polyacetal, but due to the difference in chemistry between carbon and silicon it would be difficult, if not impossible, to synthesise such a compound and have it remain stable; silicon readily catenates (forms chains) with oxygen, while carbon does not

• johnb

January 3, 2017 at 9:04 am

Google and Wikipedia are your friends
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

• crisbaysauli

January 4, 2017 at 8:52 am

Thank you @johnb, I just really want this to be validated by experts in the field. @Bill_Toge and @Belassi have been very helpful. Thank you.

• david

January 5, 2017 at 9:01 pm

and there are also silicone esters…