Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Water Soluble / Gel Based Pomade

• Water Soluble / Gel Based Pomade

Posted by Anonymous on December 27, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Hi,
    I’m not a chemist but I’m trying to learn figure out the recipe of making my own pomade.

I have gotten an ingredient list for water soluble pomade. Just wondering if these ingredients safe and if there are any replacement could improve the ingredient better.

Water 

Ceteareth-25 

Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP)

Glycerin 

Coceth-7

PPG1 - PEG-9 LAURYL GLYCOL

PEG 40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL

PROPYLENE GLYCOL

PEG-75 LANOLIN 

FRAGRANCE

PHENOXYETHANOL

DIAZOLIDINYL UREA 

IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE 

I have seen other recipe that using Polyethylene Glycol instead of Propylene Glycol. Will that work if I swap the Propylene to Polyethylene?

I also did some digging on Phenoxyethanol, Diazolidinyl Urea, and Iodopropynyl Bulycarbamate is preservative. Instead of using all 3, or swap to DMDMH, would it be possible only use Phenoxyethanol?

So sorry for these many questions on one post, really hope you guys able to give me some advice.

Thank you very much! 

Anonymous replied 7 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • johnb

December 27, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Do you know the proportions of each material in your product or are you expecting that information to come from here?

To answer your specific questions:
    Polyethylene glycol is NOT the same as propylene glycol and they are not interchangeable.

It would be unwise to swap about with preservatives without testing the product.

• Anonymous

December 27, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Hi @johnb , Thank you for replying. 
    I do have the % of each material as I know it would be difficult to configure the proportion just based on the materials. But it would be great if I able to learn how to separate them into the different phase for “cooking”. :smiley: 

The reason I’m thinking of switching the material is because I find some of them are more harmful, for example, DMDMH is more hazardous comparing to other preservatives.