Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Silicone dilution

• Silicone dilution

Posted by belassi on December 24, 2016 at 12:21 am

I don’t know a lot about silicones, there are not many types available here. I have dimethicone 500cst and cyclopentasiloxane. Is it possible to dilute the 500cst with the cyclo to get a lower viscosity?

belassi replied 7 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • komirra

December 24, 2016 at 4:37 pm

i dont see why you couldnt. i have both and have made a silicone spray with them both and got a much thinner consistancy than the dimethicone 500cst.  

• microformulation

December 24, 2016 at 10:09 pm

It takes trial and error. While one might think there is a direct Mathematical correlation, that is a simplification on your part. In the end, it will be better to simply get a lower viscosity (5-50 cst) Dimethicone. It will also keep your raw material costs down.

• belassi

December 24, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Unfortunately my available selection of material in this area is very limited.

• chemist77

December 25, 2016 at 1:32 am

Belassi are you sure it is 500cst as I have never come across that one. From 0.5 to 1 million I have used till now but never 500cst. As for mixing they are freely miscible and you can mix in any ratio till you reach the desired properties. 

• belassi

December 25, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Well, that’s what it says on the label! It has about the same viscosity as glycerine. But that’s good news.