Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating % of glycerine in a personal lube

• % of glycerine in a personal lube

Posted by fontelab on December 7, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Hello, I’m developing a personal lube in my company , waterbased
    I’m planning to use glycerine and maybe sorbitol or propyleneglycol to complement.
    I’m seeking for a good % of them, I’m thinking 10%  of glycerine, and 5% of propyleneglycol.
    what are your recommendations? does anybody worked with this before? I’m using HEC for viscosity thanks! 

johnb replied 7 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • johnb

December 8, 2016 at 9:22 am

You might want to consider using a polyethylene oxide in place of/in addition to HEC.
    The lubricating properties imparted by HEC (and other water soluble cellulosics) are not particularly efficient and do not offer much in a viscoelastic effect (pituity/slipperiness)

Polyethylene oxide (traded under Polyox, Dow), depending on grade, excels in pituitousness and approaches the ideal required in a personal (sexual) lubricant.

Take a look at http://www.dow.com/scripts/litorder.asp?filepath=/pdfs/noreg/326-00001.pdf&pdf=true if that doesn’t work try http://www.dow.com/dowwolff/en/industrial_solutions/resources/literature/index.htm (the top link in there).

Note that Polyox polyethylene oxide is NOT a version of polyethylene glycol.

• bobzchemist

December 8, 2016 at 2:44 pm

For personal lube, you need to look at United Guardian’s products (clathrates). 90% of the work has been done for you.

• bobzchemist

December 8, 2016 at 2:46 pm
  • ashish

December 9, 2016 at 6:41 am

You can enhance your product with Hydrogel technology by using ingredients suggested by Bobz i.e.from United guardian. 

• johnb

December 9, 2016 at 9:33 am

A couple of points about using Lubragel  products.
    1. Be careful about the base medium. There are a number of different grades and several are unsuitable for contact with rubber (condoms).

2. I have not found Lubragels to be as “slippery” as Polyox formulations.

• bobzchemist

December 9, 2016 at 2:54 pm

I don’t think I ever expected to be having this particular conversation on this forum….

• johnb

December 9, 2016 at 3:05 pm

:)