% of glycerine in a personal lube — Cosmetic Science Talk

% of glycerine in a personal lube

Hello, I'm developing a personal lube in my company , waterbased
I'm planning to use glycerine and maybe sorbitol or propyleneglycol to complement.
I'm seeking for a good % of them, I'm thinking 10%  of glycerine, and 5% of propyleneglycol.
what are your recommendations? does anybody worked with this before? I'm using HEC for viscosity thanks! 

Comments

• You might want to consider using a polyethylene oxide in place of/in addition to HEC.
    The lubricating properties imparted by HEC (and other water soluble cellulosics) are not particularly efficient and do not offer much in a viscoelastic effect (pituity/slipperiness)

Polyethylene oxide (traded under Polyox, Dow), depending on grade, excels in pituitousness and approaches the ideal required in a personal (sexual) lubricant.

Take a look at http://www.dow.com/scripts/litorder.asp?filepath=/pdfs/noreg/326-00001.pdf&pdf=true if that doesn't work try http://www.dow.com/dowwolff/en/industrial_solutions/resources/literature/index.htm (the top link in there).

Note that Polyox polyethylene oxide is NOT a version of polyethylene glycol.

• For personal lube, you need to look at United Guardian's products (clathrates). 90% of the work has been done for you.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • You can enhance your product with Hydrogel technology by using ingredients suggested by Bobz i.e.from United guardian. 
  • A couple of points about using Lubragel  products.
    1. Be careful about the base medium. There are a number of different grades and several are unsuitable for contact with rubber (condoms).

2. I have not found Lubragels to be as "slippery" as Polyox formulations.
  • I don't think I ever expected to be having this particular conversation on this forum....
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."