Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Spider Web Effect Hair Wax

• Spider Web Effect Hair Wax

Posted by Anonymous on December 6, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Hello everyone 

At the present time, I have formulated a hair wax but I would like to give the spider web effect. I have seen in other formulations that use the PEG-90M but the problem is that the shops only sell this product in bulk and is very expensive for me.
    I ask you if someone perhaps know another compound to replace the PEG-90M and get the same effect. 
    Thanks. I will be waiting for your comments.
    haitham_ucp replied 3 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • bobzchemist

December 6, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I don’t think that there’s a substitute for this, unless some of the other lower molecular weights of PEG will be cheaper for you.

• Anonymous

December 6, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Thank you. I also have read that the PEG-45M give that effect but I haven´t found a supplier of this product. Do you know if the silk protein can help me get this effect?

• oldperry

December 6, 2016 at 6:17 pm

No, silk protein will not do that.

• microformulation

December 6, 2016 at 7:04 pm

I have made this product several times.

Honestly, it is the PEG90M that makes it work. The PEG45 does not suffice. You may want to search carefully as there are many providers and sometimes thgeINCI’s vary.

• Anonymous

December 7, 2016 at 1:50 am

Thanks for your help. I am very grateful for your advice. 
    I will try to find this product. 

• david

December 7, 2016 at 4:45 pm

If I remember right I saw something once with nylon-xx, (don’t know the number), however PEG-90M is the better way to go. 

• Anonymous

December 10, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Thanks David.
    Recently, I have found this product Kahlwax 8089 in case someone wants to try it. 

• chemist77

December 12, 2016 at 11:17 am

Dow is the supplier for Polyox water soluble resins and which come in different molecular weights. Check for your local Dow distributor. 

• david

December 12, 2016 at 8:52 pm

I’m sceptic that this combo has the same effect as PEG-90M, I like the minimalistic formula however.
    http://www.in-cosmetics.com/__novadocuments/93037?v=635725647363000000

• haitham_ucp

June 11, 2020 at 8:18 pm

I have made this product several times.

Honestly, it is the PEG90M that makes it work. The PEG45 does not suffice. You may want to search carefully as there are many providers and sometimes thgeINCI’s vary.

Could you please provide us with the procedures and ingredients percentages ?
    Thanks in advance .

• microformulation

June 16, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Sorry, what you are asking for is a full Formulation. That isn’t really the role of this site. What have you tried?

• haitham_ucp

August 18, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Perry said:

No, silk protein will not do that.

Hello , Perry 

What is best percentage of PEG 90M to give fiber effect in such product ?