Why does my conditioner turn pink a couple of days after manufacture

edited December 2016 in Hair
Hi guys, new to this forum and think its great. I recently got a job in the skincare industry and am looking to do a course, so I would love to help anyone as I gain more knowledge in future. For now though my problem is that after I make a conditioner it goes from a nice cream colour to pink, which is not what I'm going for. Was kind of wondering if it is due to the ingredients or the procedure.

My ingredients are: Water Phase. Water 90%, Cetrimonium Chloride 3%, Grapefruit Seed Extract 0.03%.

Oil Phase: Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Emu Oil, Jojoba Oil, Lecithin, Vitamin E.

Post Emulsification: Suttocide 0.4%

Post Emulsification: Calendula Oil, Lime Oil, Ylang Ylang.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Citral, a component of some essential (citrus-based oils) and some fragrance oils, will react with Suttocide A and effect a color change in the formulation that can range from light pink to dark red.
    http://www.lotioncrafter.com/suttocide-a.html
    the lime oil, for starters.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • wow thanks for the quick response. Exactly what i needed. I previously thought that if I mix every stage in well enough I could minimise this, but basically I guess with these fragrances it will make it turn anyway. I guess I will look at an alternative. Thanks again.
  • Sorry, your comment about mixing made me laugh. That's why encapsulated actives etc exist. No, you generally can't alter fundamental effects by procedure changes. And anyway, in general that is bad practice because it almost guarantees scale-up problems.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • edited December 2016
    I hope Grapefruit Seed Extract is not part of your preservative system. It is rather ineffective.

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • @crillz:

Another reason to ditch the Suttocide A, besides the color changes, is that it can be extremely irritating, especially to the eyes.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

Provides Formulation Development and Lab-Scale Contract Manufacturing Services.  See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com

• Hmmm, obviously i have a couple things to look at. All advice appreciated.