Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General cetrimide and Benzalkonium chloride

• cetrimide and Benzalkonium chloride

Posted by nabil on November 30, 2016 at 5:52 pm

hi all,

what is the equivalent of these products:

1- cetrimide
    2- Benzalkonium chloride

these products will be used in multi surface cleaners

thank you in advance

nabil replied 7 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • nabil

December 2, 2016 at 8:10 pm

can i replace Benzalkonium chloride by another Antiseptic ?

• oldperry

December 2, 2016 at 9:31 pm

This forum has mostly cosmetic chemists in it so you probably won’t get many responses to questions about hard surface cleaners.  The answer to your question is “probably” but I don’t really know.  Check EPA for approved antiseptic ingredients.

• nabil

December 3, 2016 at 8:40 am

perry, i think that BKC is used in cosmetic.

• johnb

December 3, 2016 at 9:10 am

Hard (multi) surface cleaners containing cationics must be very carefully formulated in order not to inactivate their biological activity.

It would be far preferable to have a separate antimicrobial product to use after any cleaning has taken place.

I don’t know where this product is intended for but most countries have very specific requirements and restrictions for products claiming antimicrobial/antiseptic/germicidal properties.

• nabil

December 5, 2016 at 6:00 pm

what is the usage level of Benzalkonium chloride in hard surface cleaners?

• johnb

December 6, 2016 at 7:51 am

It is very difficult to formulate a product which has reasonably effective H/S cleaning properties whilst retaining antimicrobial effects from a cationic (whether that cationic is CETAC, BAC or any other).

As I wrote, above, most countries have strict regulations regarding microbicides. I doubt very much that hard surface cleaners with cationics would fit in with this.

• nabil

December 6, 2016 at 9:07 am

there are products that containe BAC that woks.
    see example:
    http://www.ondoor.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2268

• johnb

December 6, 2016 at 9:56 am

The answer to your question about quantity of BAC is clearly stated on the LOI for the product exemplified.

I make no comment on the efficacy of the product as I have not tried to use it or been able to test its antimicrobial properties. This you should do comprehensively before marketing.

• ozgirl

December 6, 2016 at 10:08 pm

The usage level of BAC will depend on if the product is a concentrate or a ready to use product. Your product will also need to pass the tests and meet the regulations for disinfectants in your country.

Most hard surface cleaners are just cleaners and then the disinfection is done as a separate process. If you choose to combine the two then the tests you need to pass are usually more involved.

• nabil

December 7, 2016 at 4:54 pm

is there any laboratory in europe able to test the disinfectants product performance?

• chemist77

December 12, 2016 at 11:14 am

Not sure of the equivalent but have you thought about pine oil in the formula???

• nabil

December 17, 2016 at 7:54 pm

thx chemist77 for the idea
    always helpfull :)